Planetary Assault Systems, Ancient Methods @ DEAF (25.10.09) (1 Viewer)

earwiggle

Earwiggle present (as part of DEAF 2009):

Bank Holiday Sunday, October 25th
Andrew’s Lane Theatre, St Andrew’s Lane, Dublin 2

Planetary Assault Systems [www.lukeslater.com] (London) - Full live show and visuals
Ancient Methods (Berlin) - Live
Sunil Sharpe
Rory St John - Live
Giles Armstrong

Doors: 9pm – late
Tickets: €18 (incl. booking fee) from Spindizzy Records, Road Records, City Discs
Online sales (subject to booking fee) here:
www.eventelephant.com/earwiggle
http://www.tickets.ie/secure/booking1.aspx?event=5H2RE

Check our blog for a short preview of the event: www.earwiggle.blogspot.com

www.lukeslater.com
www.mote-evolver.com
www.myspace.com/ancientmethods
www.myspace.com/sunilsharpe
www.myspace.com/rortstj
www.myspace.com/electriccitydublin
www.deafireland.com

Cannot wait for this. New Planetary Assault Systems album is brilliant, Ancient Methods will be savage live and Rory and Sunil are always excellent. Happy days!!!

Dunno - I'll go against the grain here and say the new PAS album is rubbish - like really rubbish. Bought it on the strength of all the glowing reviews and the strength of PAS up to Code Warrior 3.
Waste of money.

Dunno - I'll go against the grain here and say the new PAS album is rubbish - like really rubbish. Bought it on the strength of all the glowing reviews and the strength of PAS up to Code Warrior 3.
Waste of money.
Not even this track?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Best track on it but it's still pretty functional. That track just reminds me of old Adam Beyer and Kari Lekebusch stuff.
Dunno, I was expecting a lot more.
I'm a big fan of that Drumcode etc stuff but a lot of it was always very functional and always sounded way better mixed than as individual tracks.

Speaking of Adam Beyer - man, he used to be savage!!

I dunno - for me personally - most four four techno was getting dull to the point of embarassment by 1994 (possible honourable exceptions? Laundstrumm maybe...)
- I doubt its been improving much since!

I did like when Luke Slater had that sort of electro pop "planetary assualt systems" a few years a go - they did a great gig at the music center/button factory to a well frosty reception from "the massive"!

kp

I did like when Luke Slater had that sort of electro pop "planetary assualt systems" a few years a go - they did a great gig at the music center/button factory to a well frosty reception from "the massive"!
kp

I was one of "the massive"! Left after a few tracks (which i've done about twice in my life). Easily one of the worst gigs i was ever at. Nothing against electro pop - he was just shit at it.

There we go - music completely subjective - I wish he'd stuck with the interesting pop tunes (and the outfits!)

"A judgment of taste which is uninfluenced by charm or emotion (though these may be associated with the delight in the beautiful), and whose determining ground, therefore, is simply finality of form, is a pure judgment of taste."

says Kant!

kp

haven't heard the new PAS yet, the track above sounds good to me, not sure what you were expecting abo? functional dance floor techno is what lukey is all about surely?

Really like those ancient methods records of late, looking forward to a bosh bosh show from them.

although my nostalgia receptors are twitching at the thought of a plaid classics set...

functional dance floor techno is what lukey is all about surely?

the mid90s pas was waayy more than functional, it was genuinely brillliant imho.

i quite like the new lp but it has that digital sheen & shineyness that can get pretty grating very quickly. i think the title track is pretty deadly though... for the deaf gig he's bringing over the mono-poly so thatll be more than the back side of a laptop screen to gawk at.

haven't heard the new PAS yet, the track above sounds good to me, not sure what you were expecting abo? functional dance floor techno is what lukey is all about surely?

Really like those ancient methods records of late, looking forward to a bosh bosh show from them.

although my nostalgia receptors are twitching at the thought of a plaid classics set...

Ah just something new maybe? Something a little different - even just one track.
His Planetary Funk series and the first album pushed techno in a far harder direction. They were inspired records. From my recollection it pretty much paved the way for that style of hard minimal techno that people like The Advent, Beyer etc went on to excel at.
The Code Warrior series was pretty interesting - couple of really exceptional tracks on them that were unique but still dancefloor.

I was just a bit let down by the album. Yeah it sounds good, everythings in the right place, it'll work on the dancefloor but it's missing a spark. Sounds like it could have come from any hard techno producer. Rubbish was probably a bit harsh. Average would be a better description ;)

Agreed on Ancient Methods. A little hyped too but making interesting records and I would love to see them live.

I dunno - for me personally - most four four techno was getting dull to the point of embarassment by 1994 (possible honourable exceptions? Laundstrumm maybe...)
- I doubt its been improving much since!

kp

99% of techno is 4/4 :) But yeah, know what you're saying - guess it comes down to how much the sound connects with you in the first place.
That Music Centre gig definitely divided opinions - a lot of people didn't know what to do when they saw a *shock horror* singer getting ready on stage at the beginning of the set!

Ah just something new maybe? Something a little different - even just one track.

Did you hear the single 'Temporary Suspension'? That's definitely a keeper - is a lot closer the Coad Warrior series you mentioned.
There is 'familiarity' about some of the the new album alright - but holy shit, watch the likes of 'Whodoo' played in a club!! Yes, it is more 'dj friendly' than anything on the face of it, but you'd be hard pushed to find much current techno that gets people reacting like that.

If you don't like the new album, remember too that Slater does play old PAS material in his sets as well.

Anyway, have a look at this, it doesn't really kick in until about 1.54 but a nice chance to perv on his set-up. Can't see the Korg Monopoly in this clip, but as mentioned, he is bringing one with him:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back