pickles (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
i'm going to make pickles tonight using this recipe:

1/2 c. rice vinegar (or white vinegar) (you can used pre-seasoned sushi vinegar,just leave out the sugar and season salt to taste)
3 Tbsp sugar
juice of 2 limes
1/2+ tsp. salt to taste
1 small clove garlic, crushed
fresh hot peppers, seeded and julienned (amount of peppers can determine spiciness)
6 pickling cucumbers cut into spear shapes
1/2 c. shallots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup (or more) chopped cilantro

Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, lime juice, garlic in a large bowl.
Add rest of ingredients, toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, tossing occasionally.

Pickles_L.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickles_(dog)

Catman got a hamper at Christmas and it has a jar of pickled cucumber in it. It is the most disgusting looking food stuff I've ever seen. I'm afraid to open it, yet at the same time not wanting to throw it away in case it's the tastiest thing in the world. I suspect it's not...

I saw pickled trotters when I was stateside, I'd never seen them before. Maybe I'm bloind. I had pickled eggs in an Amish restaurant over there. They're delicious. They're yellow or pink depending on pickling juice.

I had pickled eggs in an Amish restaurant over there. They're delicious. They're yellow or pink depending on pickling juice.
Staple British pub food, mate! Or used to be. Some traditons are sadly disappearing in this era of gastropubs. We don't get the prawn man coming round with his basket of yummy crustacean tastiness anymore.

This kind of thing makes me lose sleep

You have a thing, like an onion or a gherkin- but once you seal it in a container of vinegar for a while -- it becomes "a pickle"..... regardless of what it was beforehand

aarrgh

Right, my flatmate and I are hoping to have pickled cucumber ready for when we make salt beef. Anyone have any experiences they'd like share (preferably pickle related experience). How did yours work out Neilo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back