Pesto (1 Viewer)

Dktr. Faustus

Tried to make my own pesto yesterday, only today I had the courage to taste the result and it was great after all.

Any good recipes or tips? Mine was really basic...basil, olive oil, parmesan
, pine kernels, garlic, lime, salt.

I read something about pesto yesterday... (pestoday?)

one sec...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5267796.stm

Italian farmers fear pesto penury
Mark Duff
BBC News, Milan

Farmers in many parts of northern Italy have called for the declaration of a state of natural disaster.
They say a severe drought and devastating storms have destroyed many crops, including basil.

The herb is the key ingredient of one of the country's most famous pasta sauces, pesto alla genovese .

Vicious thunderstorms over the past few days have seen more rain fall across northern Italy in a few hours than had fallen since the start of the year.

The most eye-catching damage came west of the port city of Genoa, where hail stones the size of golf balls caused 4m euros (£2.7m) worth of damage.

They smashed greenhouses used to grow basil, the fragrant, intensely-flavoured herb that is the main ingredient of Genoese pesto.

About 80% of the basil crop was destroyed, leading to fears of a shortage of pesto sauce.

Pesto - made with basil leaves, parmesan cheese, olive oil, pine kernels and garlic - dates back to Roman times.

Although it is simple enough to make, only sauce made with basil grown in the worst-affected area is allowed to be sold as genuine pesto alla genovese .

Fears are also growing for the fast-approaching grape harvest in neighbouring Piedmont - home to some of Italy's finest wines, including that known as the king of wines, Barolo.

Across Italy, the biggest farmers' association estimates that the drought and storms have wreaked 1bn euros (£680m) worth of damage.

slightly off topic, I guess...

"basil, olive oil, parmesan, pine kernels, garlic, lime, salt"

that sounds like the good shit to me boss. Maybe throw in some sundried tomatos or blck olives? I :heart: homemade pesto - its a bit pricey to make though.

I had the nicest sandwhich in dublin airport- Pesto, Mozzorella, Sundried Tomatoes and Basil. Makes me hungry thinking about it

Best toasted sandwhich ever:

pesto
jalepeno relish
all kinds of peppers
red onion
cherry tomatos
spicy grated cheese from tescos

serve with 'slaw

oh yes, it is a bit pricey to make...

but i did make the sandwich of a century - made some small fluffy breads with seeds and couscous (makes the fresh texture of the bread stay longer, oh yes), straight from the oven, lashed some of the pesto on it, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. uh oh :eek:

oh yes, it is a bit pricey to make...

but i did make the sandwich of a century - made some small fluffy breads with seeds and couscous (makes the fresh texture of the bread stay longer, oh yes), straight from the oven, lashed some of the pesto on it, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. uh oh :eek:
haw..... i think i love you...
... for your food skills that is. god i wish i didnt live at home so i could do more stuff like that. my mam gets worried when im attempting to cook/bake.

haw..... i think i love you...
... for your food skills that is. god i wish i didnt live at home so i could do more stuff like that. my mam gets worried when im attempting to cook/bake.

ah well the baking is easy...wish i had more time for that. actually it needs very little work, more waiting and overseeing. and i wish the oven was bigger, now all the results will be gone really quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back