Pay to Play - your opinions please (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by lorcanzo
oh you'll get me in free?
lovely!
you'll be there then?
grand.
minimum 300 hundred words?
i laaaave it.
this will be lots of fun!
thanks for the opportunity ron.

Why do I get the feeling I'm the last one to see the joke coming here...?

Okay, what name do I put on the GuestList?
I *may* be there. I am trying to get Fergus Geraghty of M3MMedia to have a look at Dextra out of their own turf and if I can persuade him to look for his passport I'll get him to the wilderness.

i'm sorry?
i thought offering to travel out to skeries and review a gig for you was a pretty nice jesture.

It was a lovely gesture. However, after the treatment any of my comments usually get in here, can you be surprised if I am a bit cautious?

Go for it, by all means. I'd love you to. Dextra are my favourite band (live) and, like all music fans I love to push the profile of my favourite band. If you fancy writing it up, I'll have it publsihed in a newspaper that has about 60,000 readers and publish it on IrishUnsigned, as well as maybe get it in the Waterford Star (oh, and you can put it on Thumped too, I guess).

I am always looking for people to do write ups and to act as local agents so if any of that appeals to anyone else, let me know. Basically, we like gig-goers and music fans to write stuff up, not the usual bloated Clayton Lea's of this world who knoe even less than *me* about who's good and who's shit (and that's saying something).

I will have your name on the guesltist if at all possible. Email me what name to put.

put Lorcan Feely on the guest list.

and i won't be pushing dextra, i'm gonna review the gig.
if they're shit i'll say it.
how many bands will there be then? and can i get directions etc?

okay, please do be blunt an honest. we don't believe in telling anyone they're wonderful if they're not, it stops them developing

as for directions, no idea. maybe someone in here will be able to tell us?

Is This Post Dead? Isaac Butt rates. My opinion

Hiya. Just saw this thread and its very long so it may never get read this far down.

In the Isaac Butt we charge:

Mon, Tues 130 euro
Wed 150 euro
Thurs, Fri, Sat 190 Euro
Sunday Sunday Sessions.. See other posts.

On a Sunday we used to hire the night out to Garageland Gigs which operated The Garage Gigs. We had no input ot take on the door. We made no profit from the door. Just so people know.

What we give for the hire fee.

State of the art PA bought in Jan this year at a cost of 40000 euro. A good Sound Engineer.
We advertise in the following:
Event Guide 1/4 page advert
Hot Press 1/8 Page
We do Monthly flyers
We do A3 posters
We do ads on Phatom and various colleges things,
We also do an ad i the slate.

The Sound Engineer costs us 90 euro a night.
I personally think the fee is reasonable for the service we provide. We are trying to attract bands on the first few rungs. To be honest if you expect to make a living at this level off the door in a gig you are in the wrong business. Its about being good, building a profile and generating the interest of a record company or fans....
I think...
Excuse the ramblings....
Am open to discusssion

re: The Isaac Butt

Pay to play?

Even 11 years ago, The White Horse was £50 to hire. This was for the room, and the sound engineer (remember Sinead? She ROCKED!). You did your own promotion, sorted out the gear (transport) yourself. You took the door on the night. They ran a bar, and you were fucked if you thought you were getting a penny of that. This was all fair. Totally fair as far as I see it.

Not much has changed, just convert £ to €. Think of inflation over the years. Fast forward 11 years, and increase the price accordingly. Nowadays though, the inherent cost of advertising and promoting a gig is a lot more than it used to be (design, print, distribution, radio, competitions = freebies etc). Add in a production team, security etc.

I'll be over here, against the wall, with the blindfold on when you dig your guns out.

;)

Re: re: The Isaac Butt

Originally posted by madouva
Pay to play?

Even 11 years ago, The White Horse was £50 to hire. This was for the room, and the sound engineer (remember Sinead? She ROCKED!). You did your own promotion, sorted out the gear (transport) yourself. You took the door on the night. They ran a bar, and you were fucked if you thought you were getting a penny of that. This was all fair. Totally fair as far as I see it.

Not much has changed, just convert £ to €. Think of inflation over the years. Fast forward 11 years, and increase the price accordingly. Nowadays though, the inherent cost of advertising and promoting a gig is a lot more than it used to be (design, print, distribution, radio, competitions = freebies etc). Add in a production team, security etc.

I'll be over here, against the wall, with the blindfold on when you dig your guns out.

;)

Nice to see a sensible reply to the problem that seems to cost more headaches than many others for the band v promoter v debate. Look in any music forum. Bands slate promoters, without who's risk-taking there'd be no gigs at all. Promoters slate venue hirers for the way they deal (or not) with problems that arise sue to non-information. Venues slate both parties while realising that they'd be lost without someone to take over the ehadache of bringing diverse punters into the place

One thing that was not mentioned above by TheIsaacButt was the concept of door-takings, when they stop.

When we hired the Butt (not just there, Whelans and Mono and The Forum did the same), they 'took over' the door about half-ten or something, supposedly for the punters coming in for the nightclub, yet the stage was ours until half-eleven, so the punters who came in at the Isaac Butt gig between the two times (19 in all, according to my notes) were seeing the gig. Butts would argue they were in for the afters. Both are probably true. I'd suggest venues state clearly (whcih didn;t happen in our case) what tim the stage is until, what time the engineers is until and what time the door-takings are until. I also suggest that punters who walk in between the time of the door change-over and the bands finishing should have a percentage (say 30%) of their door-money go to the bands/promoter.

Of course, I can;t see that happening.

By the way, despite being a Venue, and despite being sometime very hard to get info from (or to get hold of!), the Isaac Butt is my favourite place to run a gig because the thing si done very professionally on the day, and they talk to you as if you are a 'partner' in the event, not a pleb to be patronised while the money is still due. Whelans on the other hand.....

Ron, IrishUnsigned

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back