Paul O'Reilly (1 Viewer)

snap-apple

Supporter
Since 2000
What do people think of Paul O'Reilly? And I mean those that actually bothered taking their thumbs out of their arses and listening to him (Dr. J). Good gig coming up in January with Glen Hansard, David Kitt and Paul O'Reilly. Oh and At the Drive-In could've been better but still good.

Delicate songs delivered with conviction. A beautiful voice, and a lovely fella. There you go...howzat then.
If only people could have shut the fuck up when he supported Kittser in Whelans of Wexford Street... people are idiots. Who are others waiting for to tell them that this guy is worth listening to...D'SIDE? I'm getting that impression from much of the audience at Kittser's gigs recently. There's a lot of this cult of personality stuff going on there. It's not Kittser's fault, but it was going to happen sooner or later, wasn't it?

Couldn't agree more - I call it "The Frames Effect". You know, people who probably don't even pay in and then stand around posing and chatting to their mates saying how good this band are while they're actually playing on stage and you're thinking - god man - shut the hell up... sorry, I'm an angry young man... but the reception for Songs:Ohia at the Frames gig last time in Whelan's was disappointing. Not the Frames' fault - they actually paid for Jason Molina and all the rest of Songs:Ohia to come over.

as with a lot of accosticians he could probably do with letting out the odd yelp for therapeutic value (not to mention grabbing the attention of the chatty nitwits)
stand-up stuff tho and the s. fanagan backing gets pretty tasty too.
this chair be high sez i.

I was baiting ye for the obvious "Nike Drake" comparisons but maybe other people are nicer than me. He is excellent of course... I was wrong about the gig I mentioned up top - its in January (20th/21st?) and it's Bonny Billy (Will Oldham) and Dave Pajo (Papa M) with some support which I think includes Paul O'Reilly.

yeah, the nick drake comparisons are a bit premature. paul's a lovely guy w/ some great songs and a beautiful voice. my 'criticism' would be that he could use a change of mood or tempo every so often.
aaaah, but what the hell do i know?

yeah, the addition of steve's atmospherics really helps. brilliant mick turneresque stuff. id love to hear paul collaborating with more people.
but not pat cannon...jesus, that was horrendous. galway really suffered that night.

You don't have to wait that long....that gig is actually this saturday night - "Gimme Shelter" with Glen Hansard, David Kitt, Paul o'Reilly, Steve Fannagan and John cowie at the Shelter in Vicar St. in aid of the Simon Community.
This I know...however I don't know if there are tickets or if you pay on the door...does anyone know??

I asked Dave in Road today and he said "Pay at the door"... I forgot to ask if he had tickets for the Bonnie Billy/Dave Pajo thingy though.. doh!

according to the road website the tickets for the will oldham gig arent' on sale till Jan 17th.

according to the road website the tickets for the will oldham gig arent' on sale till Jan 17th.

it's definetely an attitude problem those "yappers" have cos when david kitt played on his own (no minidisc even ) in the cobblestone in september you could hear a pin drop.it seems paul o' reilly would need to be hyped up before people shutup and listen.i don't even particularly enjoy his music either

paul o'reilly's great. ah, how the ex-members of tarca have prospered...

the gig tonight is pay sur le door, and road said today that they have tickets for william in january.

as for paul in galway... dedicating songs to southern comfort? i believe so...

southern comfort mmmmmmmmm, and what was he ding chasing a big ol rock in the middle of a playground? looking for sausages i presume.

chasing a big ol' rock? well he wasn't the only one singin at the top of the monkeybars at 5 in the morning i know that much...

the 'gimme shelter' gig last night was really really great. big fat up to the family for getting it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back