panning drums hard right and bass hard left (1 Viewer)

i think it was in the 60's, when 8 track was invented by stapling two 4 tracks together, they had no panning control, so usually the rythymym section was on one ear and the vocal melody lines and so forth on the other for clarity. on the queens of the stone age song ehhhh song for the dead (i think), they use both, the drums go left for the verse and centre for the repetitive riff part.

was reading about the beatles albums somewhere recently, and how they didn't give a damn about the stereo mixes. everything is meant to be heard in mono, with all tracks dead centre. seemingly the beatles wouldn't even sit in on the stereo mixing sessions.
i think many older records mixed like this were originally mixed for mono, so don't translate that well to stereo. but when it's done properly it can sound great. much of 'hearts of oak' by ted leo is hard panned, or almost hard panned. sounds cool.

I mix everything in mono on a 70s genelic ksm520 with the tweeter removed - then bounce up to 5.1 with a submix in quad and effects returns in 7.1 , then patch that through my colection of lead fridge magnets, with firdge door open but lightbuld removed to prevent ground loops.I used this technique on my album : 2 hour 440hz test tone in A

why is it that doubling a track and panning them left and right sounds different to one track in the middle? the single track is still coming out through both headphones.

why is it that doubling a track and panning them left and right sounds different to one track in the middle? the single track is still coming out through both headphones.

its just louder than the original. stereo pan law thing. as you pan a sound across the speakers the loudness is gradually reduced towards the centre (usually towards -3db). this gives the impression that the loudness stays the same across the stereo field, whereas panning out of the same track doesnt do this so you probably just get a 3db louder version of the original.

its just louder than the original. stereo pan law thing. as you pan a sound across the speakers the loudness is gradually reduced towards the centre (usually towards -3db). this gives the impression that the loudness stays the same across the stereo field, whereas panning out of the same track doesnt do this so you probably just get a 3db louder version of the original.

its still a mystery to me though. when you have the stereo thing going on, if its vocals for example, it sounds like theres two people singing, one on your left and one on your right yet with just a single track it doesnt sound like two people singing a bit more quietly, just like one person in front.

are you sure you don't have some kind of effect on one of the tracks or theyre slightly out of sync or something? if you have an identical track in both speakers perfectly synced it should definitely sound like its in the middle, if not theres something up with your setup i think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back