p.a. query re bohs (4 Viewers)

don't forget to budget for decent mics. i.e 3x sm58's and 1x sm57. looking at about 350 euro second hand. no point getting a decent PA then having shite mics. The mics could be left in my gaff for safe keeping if you want as they are the most likely thing to be mislaid/stolen. I'll get a season ticket as well conor for the cause...

if you go to thomin.com or something they have the cheapest prices that i know of for mics. they have a house brand that they make them selves based on the 58 and all the popular models as well as the real deal.
fair play to everyone chippin in on the aul money!

mc moley said:
if you go to thomin.com or something they have the cheapest prices that i know of for mics. they have a house brand that they make them selves based on the 58 and all the popular models as well as the real deal.
fair play to everyone chippin in on the aul money!
So does this mean all involved parties can borrow this stuff with prior notice etc:

so thats 7 of 12

conor
niall
lamstock
cormoclash
shorty
donal and naplam - 2 x 5 gigs each ticket
tommytrousers

not sure naplam about useage outside bohs etc - hadnt really though of that but should be manageable, any ideas anyone? i suppose its just a matter of collection / return etc and some sort of bookign system or is theres more than that???? probably would need to sort out a few things like that.

mics are defo going to need minding as they can walk alright tommy so thats a good offer as your in area.

tommytrousers said:
don't forget to budget for decent mics. i.e 3x sm58's and 1x sm57.

3 vocals and a snare mic? I think a kick mic would be more of a priority than a sanre mic, myself, but getting a cheap decent sounding one isn't easy. Still there are worse mics to use on kick than a 58.

mc moley said:
any chance there is a circuit diagram with that booklet? there usually is some kinda of one with it. i could use it as a little guide- it'll make things easier!

No, afraid not, but I've had a check through the desk and seen what all is working, and what isn't. The insides of it shouldn't be too complex as it dates from sometime around '86, as best as I can reckon it, and I don't think it relies on too much microcircuitry.

Some of the pots are a bit noisy, but circuit cleaner should fix that. All the internal busses seem good so I think any repairs should be easy enough to locate.

Channel 11 needs a new gain pot, as most of it has snapped off, but it still passes a signal through what remains.

Aux 2 send on channel 1 doesn't work - probably just a bad pot or loose wire. Aux 2 send on channel 4 is a very dodgy pot.

Aux 3 return doesn't seem to work, but this is probably another bad pot or loose wire or bad solder joint.

Everything else on it seems to be working fine. It is a bit noisy when adjusting gain on a few of the channels, but once it is set up and running it actually sounds better than you would think to look at it.

All the inserts, line ins, tape ins, mic ins, mutes, PFLs, main outs, aux outs, EQs, head phone sockets, talkback and everything not mentioned specifically above as bad are working fine. Even those funky retro VU meters are still working.

mac warzonescum said:
Some of the pots are a bit noisy, but circuit cleaner should fix that. All the internal busses seem good so I think any repairs should be easy enough to locate.

Channel 11 needs a new gain pot, as most of it has snapped off, but it still passes a signal through what remains.

Aux 2 send on channel 1 doesn't work - probably just a bad pot or loose wire. Aux 2 send on channel 4 is a very dodgy pot.

Aux 3 return doesn't seem to work, but this is probably another bad pot or loose wire or bad solder joint.
that sounds grand, hopefully we'll get her working ok:cool:

mac warzonescum said:
3 vocals and a snare mic? I think a kick mic would be more of a priority than a sanre mic, myself, but getting a cheap decent sounding one isn't easy. Still there are worse mics to use on kick than a 58.

Yeah in reality the place is small enough that you could get away with just using vocal mics and not mic-ing the drum kit at all. Certainly I reckon a kick-drum mic would be all you need for the drums anyway.

mac warzonescum said:

thats just me being selfish as I prefer to use a 57 for my vocal! have gotten away with throwing a 58 in the kick drum on occasions..

think we should be looking at a 300 W minimum spec on the P.A though.No point getting anything smaller and running the shit out of it. The more tecchie minded pple here should keep their eye out for appropriate stuff.Maybe brand new/under warranty stuff cuz of the amount of usage it would get?

LamStock said:
a 10euro karaoke mic is the only way to go for the kick drum....

A D112 running through a medium speed gate, boosted at 80-100Hz, cut at 250-300 and boosted at 3k-6k, then double bussed with one copy going through a compressor at maximum ratio... oooh... I can just feel those punk points draining away as I type.

tommytrousers said:
think we should be looking at a 300 W minimum spec on the P.A though.No point getting anything smaller and running the shit out of it.

What size of audience are you going to be facing with it?

Keep in mind that you'll probably be using it with 8 ohm speakers, so something rated at 300w a side at 4 ohms will probably only be putting out about 170w on each side. I struggle to get enough volume out of a Peavey CS-800x for small gigs and that's putting out 240w into 8 ohms on each side: yeah it seems plenty loud until you have a band turn up with an Ampeg 8x10... then the trouble begins.

Also remember that you will want an amp rated at close to twice the quoted wattage of your speakers if you don't want to be running out of headroom all the time and running the risk of blowing them (yes, you are more likely to blow speakers with an underpowered amp than an overpowered one, all other things being equal).

i am going to wait to talk to bohs people about this face to face next weekend so then we can put it togethar formally when we know for sure where we stand. 3 areas to sort out really are:

1) season ticket / fund raising / benefits
2) techie stuff as to what we want / need to buy
3) working out methods for "managing" and looking after the quipment etc so as it doesn't end up messy and everyoen is clear as to what they are getting into.

so i will post again on this subject on monday week when i have met with bohs people and make concrete plans etc.

mac - do you ever be down in dublin so as you could meet with some of the dublin techies, look at venue and advise on best set up etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back