Our Environment, Our Kip (1 Viewer)

Anne OMalley said:
Like rugby in Munster and croquet on the lawns of Oxford, self-shitting is the regional sport of choice in the Stoneybatter area. I live near there and have witnessed some of the area's foremost auto-defaecators engaged in their craft.

Also popular is painting one side of your bicyle red and the other side black, then communicating to an invisible helicopter with great urgency, by means of a walkie-talkie which is also, it must be said, difficult to make out.

It's a great spot, Kirstie. You'll fit in like a winged serpent at a children's birthday party.
now i wonder why the estate agent neglected to mention this salient piece of information?

This Is Multi-Storey Compassion - Park Your Bickering Elsewhere

Lads, this thread is for people who care about the environment. Give it a miss.

That is, unless you can offer some information about those massive wood-finish poles sticking out of the ground in the Phoenix Park. What the hell is going on there? The whole place has gotten covered in an unpleasantly soft, brown debris. I can only assume this crud has fallen away like flakes of skin from the tops of these enormous, spidery, mutant logs. Worse, some of these things appear to be made of solid oak and pine - it really is a scandal to have them there, where they are both an eyesore and a waste of precious publishing materials. Smurfit's should be alerted without delay.

And don't get me started on that green pube-like growth that now coats the entire surface of what is - let's not forget - one of Europe's premier city parks. I fear for the lives of the rent boys up there, I really do.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO CARES?

enchance said:
for who i wonder?

Grimp said:
Billy Gannon eh? Not COUSIN Billy Gannon???
occasionally a friend or relation has lurked on this place and correctly identified me, in spite of my pseudonym

which is kind of scary

oh sorry Anne.

Hey what about them kids with kites, eh? kill those fuckers

and the kids having kids...
snakybus said:
occasionally a friend or relation has lurked on this place and correctly identified me, in spite of my pseudonym

which is kind of scary

oh sorry Anne.

Hey what about them kids with kites, eh? kill those fuckers

Re: This Is Multi-Storey Compassion - Park Your Bickering Elsewhere

Anne OMalley said:
Lads, this thread is for people who care about the environment. Give it a miss.

That is, unless you can offer some information about those massive wood-finish poles sticking out of the ground in the Phoenix Park. What the hell is going on there? The whole place has gotten covered in an unpleasantly soft, brown debris. I can only assume this crud has fallen away like flakes of skin from the tops of these enormous, spidery, mutant logs. Worse, some of these things appear to be made of solid oak and pine - it really is a scandal to have them there, where they are both an eyesore and a waste of precious publishing materials. Smurfit's should be alerted without delay.

And don't get me started on that green pube-like growth that now coats the entire surface of what is - let's not forget - one of Europe's premier city parks. I fear for the lives of the rent boys up there, I really do.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO CARES?

Dublin is a kip dude. A scruffy, smelly, filthy, overpriced kip. Run by fat greedy cunts. I suggest you save up your pocket money bigtime and move to a proper country. Well, thats what I'm doin. You can't help a country as fucked up as Ireland, its just meant to rot. Thats why we're all complete Alcho's and E takers. Supposedly.

I'll never understand why foreigners actually move here. Do they want to be abused?

Re: This Is Multi-Storey Compassion - Park Your Bickering Elsewhere

hee hee hee :D

Speed Racer said:
Dublin is a kip dude. A scruffy, smelly, filthy, overpriced kip. Run by fat greedy cunts. I suggest you save up your pocket money bigtime and move to a proper country. Well, thats what I'm doin. You can't help a country as fucked up as Ireland, its just meant to rot. Thats why we're all complete Alcho's and E takers. Supposedly.

I'll never understand why foreigners actually move here. Do they want to be abused?

Anne OMalley said:
What's the story with the beach at Sandymount? Has anyone seen it lately? A total mess. Sand strewn everywhere, broken rocks and pebbles flung all over the gaff. Discarded shells, overgrown weeds as far as the eye can see. Then there's all that flooding. How could we have let this happen? I'm no ecologist but this is sick.

Sick.
you know I had a dream about you recently
you were living in a twenty story apartment - in Sandymount - with four blonde girls

and a massive collection of cider cans from all over the world

I was there to borrow an atlas

funny things, dreams

Holy moly. But now you mention it: where's me atlas?

nlgbbbblth said:
you know I had a dream about you recently
you were living in a twenty story apartment - in Sandymount - with four blonde girls

and a massive collection of cider cans from all over the world

I was there to borrow an atlas

funny things, dreams

This reminds me of a Borges story about an emperor who demands that his cartographers produce him the finest, most detailed map of his empire that has ever existed. They finally deliver an incredible map but the emperor is furious because it's nowhere near detailed enough. So they have another shot at it and build an even bigger, even more detailed one. But the emperor rejects it for the very same reason. (What a wanker.) So back they go for a third attempt, which the emperor again rejects, and so on.

Eventually, of course, it turns out that the map the emperor requires is 1:1 scale, which means the only way to view it will be if it fits precisely over every object in the kingdom.

Now THAT'S a map.

highnigh said:
would that be an atlas of planet earth???

Anne OMalley said:
This reminds me of a Borges story about an emperor who demands that his cartographers produce him the finest, most detailed map of his empire that has ever existed. They finally deliver an incredible map but the emperor is furious because it's nowhere near detailed enough. So they have another shot at it and build an even bigger, even more detailed one. But the emperor rejects it for the very same reason. (What a wanker.) So back they go for a third attempt, which the emperor again rejects, and so on.

Eventually, of course, it turns out that the map the emperor requires is 1:1 scale, which means the only way to view it will be if it fits precisely over every object in the kingdom.

Now THAT'S a map.
There's also an Eco essay called 'On the Impossibility of Drawing a Map of the Empire at a Scale of 1:1', which kind of follows on from the Borges story and is really hilarious. Talks about how once you make a map that fits over the whole kingdom, the people actually live in the map, and thus the map is rendered inaccurate, etc, etc. It's great. It's in his 'How to Travel with a Salmon and other Essays'.

I haven't read the Borges one: do you know of a specific collection of stories it's in? I should read it by now, since this whole politics-of-maps thing is my main interest in life (sad but true). And which reminds me to get to work now...

I had a pretty good dream recently. I was at a party. After a few hours I realised I was smoking a cigarette, something I haven't actually done since I quit about three years ago.

Disappointed with myself, it then occurred to me that this was "only a dream", and so I said to myself: hang on, I bet I'm just smoking in the dream and that when I wake up I'll still be a non-smoker. So, to reassure myself, I went into the hallway with the cigarette still in my hand, and stood in front of a full-length mirror.

Sure enough, my reflection did not have a cigarette in its hand...

nlgbbbblth said:
atlas : sparked by Geography sleeve?

wherein lies the connection?

Anne OMalley said:
I had a pretty good dream recently. I was at a party. After a few hours I realised I was smoking a cigarette, something I haven't actually done since I quit about three years ago.

Disappointed with myself, it then occurred to me that this was "only a dream", and so I said to myself: hang on, I bet I'm just smoking in the dream and that when I wake up I'll still be a non-smoker. So, to reassure myself, I went into the hallway with the cigarette still in my hand, and stood in front of a full-length mirror.

Um, so it was all done with smoke and mirrors?

No, no, don't worry, I'm giving *myself* that 'jane you could have spared us the bad joke' look. In the mirror. And, sure enough, it's giving it RIGHT back. this is not a dream.

Anne OMalley said:

lawks a-mussy

Anne OMalley said:

Now THAT'S a map.
jeez i wish i had stories like tha ti tell ,i could make the world a faser plake

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back