Ordering shit from US (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

What's the story with getting fucked for customs on ordering stuff from US?
Thinking of picking up a nord lead from US, as far as i can tell it weighs about 6kg... think i'll get royally screwed?

hello alan.

I've heard about people getting the sender to mark the imported item as an unsolicited gift; or marking a lesser value for the item, which I believe equals less tax. I know two people who bought drumkits from the u.s. each one using one of these, er, techniques? processes?

although I've also heard that customs are a bit wiser to this than they were. you should talk to giveamanakeith; he'd know.

getting a nord then?

best chance of getting something through without getting hit for duty & vat is to send it by usps & marked as "return from repair". most items ive got sent that way get through no probs. only problem is your stuck with the usps included insurance which is chancy. if you up the insurance then theyll prob hit you for the declared value. getting someting by courier (non usps) nearly always means you get hit.

What's the story with getting fucked for customs on ordering stuff from US?
Thinking of picking up a nord lead from US, as far as i can tell it weighs about 6kg... think i'll get royally screwed?

it depends on where you buy it really, some places insist on putting the correct value on the box and expect you to take care of customs. you can get away with a lot more from ebay by asking the seller to mark it as an unsolicited gift and get them to declare the value for next to nothing.

i have bought loads of guitars on ebay and never got caught, the only time i did get caught was when i bought 3 copy shure mics worth at most 120 but got caught for customs.

also do you have any friends/relations in the usa cause if you get it sent there and then either they send it over or if they are coming back to ireland then get them to take it with them?

other than that i think its pot luck if you get caught but dont buy anything like this near to christmas cause you are only asking for trouble

Yeah the whole marking as a gift thing crossed my mind but im noticing a lot of ebay sellers saying they wont do that.

I am right in thinking that the whole customs thing goes by weight, yes? Or is it by value?

Can't believe no one (including me) didn't make a joke about shit. Is Irsh shit not good enough for you? Do you need to import shit. Guaranteed Irish Shit , etc...

Sorry this wasn't a helpful post.

Yeah the whole marking as a gift thing crossed my mind but im noticing a lot of ebay sellers saying they wont do that.

I am right in thinking that the whole customs thing goes by weight, yes? Or is it by value?

by value, once you go over a certan price, you get charged vat.

I've gotten some nice deals by buying 2nd hand from a U.S. bass guitar forum.
I spent a good bit of time on it first to get a feel for it.

The guys on these forums tend to give decent deals, be reputable & the selection is much better than here (especially for a lefty bass player like me).
You can make sure you buy from someone who has been there for a while & who's rep actually matters to them.
Anyone who ripped off a fellow forum user would be in for some serious abuse (unlike that shower on Thumped, who'd just laugh......)

Even if you get stung for import duty & VAT, the deals here can be worth it.

My general rule for importing stuff from Yanksville is: The price that it's advertised for, in dollars, is the price you'll end up paying in Euros.

Yeah, done my research now and I've decided to bite the bullet. Ordered a Korg Polysix from ebay, it's 670 dollars including postage - so that's like what, 520 euro? We'll see how the whole customs thing goes.

Ha yeah Im gonna need you to show me how to programme that badboy properly... night of drinking and synth noise it is!

ordered a hoody from Abercrombie and fitch which was worth about $75 plus paid $32 delivery and then got screwed with €43 customs charge - which i put off paying for ages until they eventually sent me a letter saying they were going to bring me to court over it

wankers

Hey Alan,

what's wrong with getting it from Europe? ebay.de is unbelievable for synths and vintage stuff. You'll be paying in Euro's and you won't get hit for TAX cause it's EU. Check it out.

Here's one, and here's one and here's one!

laters

Fuck it, why didnt those come up under the international sellers on ebay.ie? Oh well - bought the bloody thing now anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back