Oliver Cromwell Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Ah, Ó Siochrú - I wonder if he's the character on the radio this morning, if he has a book out.
Hmmm, Hidden History caused a bit of a furore among historians with their epoisode on the massacre at Coolacrease during the War of Independence:
http://www.rte.ie/tv/hiddenhistory/coolacrease.html
It's my favourite thing that RTE has done in years, overall, but judging by the radio show this morning, and if it is the man I think it is, I'd question his motives.

twas hardly a massacre two british informers were killed, this revionist bollocks dublin 4 has been commin out with these last few years makes me furious. all these fuckin west fuckin brits trying to make us complicite in our own fucking oppression. did the IRA ,Fenians, united irishmen ,IRB invade anywhere? subject a whole nation to humiliation ,starvation and slavery? NO! so why the fuck are these cunts so intent on making us feel guilty for resisting british oppression.

ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr CUNTS

"Paying a courtesy call on the British foreign secretary Robin Cook in 1997, the Irish prime minister Bertie Ahern noticed a painting of Oliver Cromwell in the room. He instantly walked out and refused to return until the portrait of “that murdering bastard” had been removed."

read in yesterdays paper bertie said there was no walk out!

I love history and I'm never shocked at the brutality of people back then.
When the 59 commissioners signed the death penalty for King Charles I they must've assumed that was that.
11 years later with the Restoration of the monarchy and his son Charles II the ones that were still alive were arrested hung, drawn and quartered, I'd always came across that expression but it's only when I read up on it I found how gruesome it actually was, I did laugh at the commissioners who had died in the previous 11 years being exhumed before they were hung, drawn and quartered!
Just to remind you.....

1. Dragged on a hurdle (a wooden frame) to the place of execution. (This is one possible meaning of drawn.)
  2. Hanged by the neck for a short time or until almost dead (hanged).
  3. Disembowelled and emasculated and the genitalia and entrails burned before the condemned's eyes (this is another meaning of drawn).
  4. Beheaded and the body divided into four parts (quartered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back