[Oct 30, 2015] Richard Hawley (Vicar Street) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Aiken Promotions present

RICHARD HAWLEY

Vicar St,

30th October 2015.

Richard Hawley announces new album, ‘Hollow Meadows’ & Irish date.

Following the success of his hugely acclaimed 2012 Top Three album, Standing At The Sky’s Edge, Richard Hawley will release his eighth studio album, Hollow Meadows on September 11th, via Parlophone Records and will make a very welcome return to Dublin’s Vicar St on October 30th.

Recorded at Sheffield’s Yellow Arch Studio in spring 2015, Hollow Meadows sees Hawley return to the classic, sophisticated songwriting and subtle arrangements that made him so widely loved and revered in the first place. Meditating on such themes as ageing, fallibility and relationships, much of the album shares a brooding, yet wistful and romantic atmosphere in keeping with early albums Late Night Final and Lowedges, as well as touches of 2009’s Truelove’s Gutter (‘Nothing Like A Friend’) and Standing At The Sky’s Edge (‘Which Way’, ‘Welcome The Sun’).

In the world of Hollow Meadows, everything seems to feed into Hawley’s uniquely earthy strain of mysticism. All roads seem to lead back to the same place – literally in the case of the album’s title. In keeping with the tradition of previous albums, which all allude to places in and around Sheffield, Hawley alighted on the name Hollow Meadows which was thought to be the location of a hospital that existed as recently as the 1950s. In fact, further research yielded that the area was originally known as Auley Meadows – a name thought to derive from the Hawley family who lived there between the 14th and 17th Century.

The album features some notable guests from the UK folk scene; Hawley’s neighbour and friend Martin Simpson, who plays slide guitar and banjo on ‘Long Time Down’, and Nancy Kerr, who plays fiddle and viola on ‘The World Looks Down’, ‘I Still Want You’ and ‘Nothing Like A Friend’. There is also a song inspired in part by Hawley’s friendship with the iconic folk singer Norma Waterson (‘Heart Of Oak’). Other guests include one of Hawley’s oldest and dearest friends, Jarvis Cocker who plays Rheem Kee super bass on ‘Nothing Like A Friend’, and the Hick Street Chip Shop Singers, who are made up of various Sheffield luminaires, including Slow Club’s Rebecca Taylor.

Hollow Meadows is an album full of exceptional songwriting, beautiful melodies and harmonies, and some of the finest lyrics and vocals Hawley as ever written and recorded. It will further cement his reputation as one of Britain’s greatest songwriters of the past 15 years.

http://richardhawley.co.uk

http://facebook.com/RichardHawleyOfficial

http://richardhawleyforum.co.uk/

Tickets priced €33.50 (inc booking fee) are on sale now through www.ticketmaster.ie & usual outlets nationwide

Yeah, mostly stuff off the recent albums but this was a nice surprise. One of the encore songs.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And he ended with The Ocean as usual.

The place was packed, probably due to increased awareness from things like the Jools Holland appearance. I saw a good few people leaving early. A mate brought a few friends and they all hit the bar halfway through. I don't think they quite knew what to expect. The set veers wildly between gentle romantic melodies and space echoed psychedelic guitar workouts. They also moaned that the band looked too sullen."where did he get that band from?" Said one guy...not aware that this has been the same line up since the beginning.

The heat was overwhelming in the place . A woman beside me collapsed and away taken away in an ambulance.

The heckles/ banter from the crowd was embarrassingly inane. Shame on you Dublin.

But I really enjoyed the gig. Fantastic guitars on display. Loving the new songs. I bought a poster and still had it when I got home after a few pints.

So. Good.

More or less the same set as the Dublin gig
image.jpeg

Yeah, mostly stuff off the recent albums but this was a nice surprise. One of the encore songs.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And he ended with The Ocean as usual.

The place was packed, probably due to increased awareness from things like the Jools Holland appearance. I saw a good few people leaving early. A mate brought a few friends and they all hit the bar halfway through. I don't think they quite knew what to expect. The set veers wildly between gentle romantic melodies and space echoed psychedelic guitar workouts. They also moaned that the band looked too sullen."where did he get that band from?" Said one guy...not aware that this has been the same line up since the beginning.

The heat was overwhelming in the place . A woman beside me collapsed and away taken away in an ambulance.

The heckles/ banter from the crowd was embarrassingly inane. Shame on you Dublin.

But I really enjoyed the gig. Fantastic guitars on display. Loving the new songs. I bought a poster and still had it when I got home after a few pints.

So. Good.

Cheers! I really liked his early albums, I must get around to giving the newer ones a listen. He seems to come around reasonably often, doesn't he?

Cheers! I really liked his early albums, I must get around to giving the newer ones a listen. He seems to come around reasonably often, doesn't he?
he's in Cork in February.. Latest album is great. A few on there that hark back to the earlier albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back