NO DISCO, NO TUNES MORE LIKE (1 Viewer)

anon

HAS ANYONE BEEN WATCHING NO DISCO LATELY? MY GOD IT SEEMS TO BE DOMINATED BY WHISPERY "SINGER SONGWRITER" DULL AS DISHWATER DAVID KITT TYPES. OKAY I KNOW MY TASTES ARE A LITTLE MORE "MAINSTREAM" THAN MOST OF THE THUMPED MEMBERS,(girls on film by duran duran is on the cd player)BUT EVERYONE LIKES SOME KIND OF MEMORABLE TUNE DON'T THEY?
MOST OF THE STUFF PLAYED ON NO DISCO IS SO BLAND, YOU'VE FORGOTTEN HOW THE TUNE GOES BEFORE IT'S EVEN OVER.YET WE ARE TOLD THIS KIND OF THING IS DEEP AND MEANINGFUL AND THE MAINSTREAM MUSIC IS MEANING LESS LIGHTWEIGHT PAP, AND MOST OF IT IS. BUT TRY AND COME UP WITH A MELODY THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER OR SOME MEANDERING, COY WHISPERY MUMBLE, NOW WHIC IS EASIER.........MMM

I just wanted the fame of having my post seperate the above from the inevitable tsunami of venemous Leagues-defenders...or be able to enjoy the irony of being the last post on the thread. Win-Win.

it seems these days that noone can present a music show without encuring the rath of the thumped.com stalwarths..first purcell now mr. o'toole...it looks like uaneen got off lightly!

I never watch it any more. Their latest is barely audible ambient techno with a video shot on a cam corder by a blind moose. Now we have nowhere to go for good music. Brand New? I think not...

capital letters are annoying to read

well its better than constant teeny bop crap or american rock/rap crap.
i think no disco is excellent, i see many bands/artists i don't know, and whether i like them or i get exposed to stuff i wouldn't really hear on the radio.
plus no disco was the first to show me david gray, slint, weezer, devo and a host of bands i probably wouldn't know otherwise....
of course it was better in its dineen days...

I saw the Yo La tengo goes to rock school video on it last week - that pretty much ratified the whole series.

Mostly though, I just hate people who CONSTANTLY TYPE IN CAPS - It's really fucking annoying.
No Disco Mk III - allright by me.

John (28 Mar, 2001 11:56 a.m.):
I saw the Yo La tengo goes to rock school video on it last week - that pretty much ratified the whole series.

I'm no Leagues defender, but I still think it's a good programme. I don't think the presenter has a huge impact on it anyhow...isn't it the editor guy that choses the videos, and Leagues does a fine job anyway.

I'm miffed I missed the YLT video, but i've seen some really good vids on it lately - Sigur Ros,Snowpatrol,and a very cool Ninja tune Preying mantis.....as well as videos from the Jubilee Allstars and Mundy, so it's promoting Irish acts.

Actually one act i Haven't seen on it is David Kitt, has he done any videos? If so i'd like to see them played.

John (28 Mar, 2001 11:56 a.m.):

I'm no Leagues defender, but I still think it's a good programme. I don't think the presenter has a huge impact on it anyhow...isn't it the editor guy that choses the videos, and Leagues does a fine job anyway.

I'm miffed I missed the YLT video, but i've seen some really good vids on it lately - Sigur Ros,Snowpatrol,and a very cool Ninja tune Preying mantis.....as well as videos from the Jubilee Allstars and Mundy, so it's promoting Irish acts.

Actually one act i Haven't seen on it is David Kitt, has he done any videos? If so i'd like to see them played.

The boy Kitt will have a video for the forthcoming single, due out in a couple of weeks - you can bet No Disco will play it.

The memory of thet YLT vid has had me chuckling all morning - that bit where that Rock Guy walks past the jacks, sniffs suspiciously and walks in to catch one of Yo La Tengo in a cubicle playing the clarinet cracks me up every time....

It's getting to the stage that "at least they play their own instruments" makes any band on mainstream telly sound revolutionary. But unless you have MTV2, No Disco is the only place to see the really good stuff.

quite right. the dave kitt video is being premiered on no disco in a couple of weeks.. i got the promo and press release yesterday to the magazine i work for..

John (28 Mar, 2001 01:22 p.m.):
The boy Kitt will have a video for the forthcoming single, due out in a couple of weeks - you can bet No Disco will play it.

The memory of thet YLT vid has had me chuckling all morning ....

Is that single 'Song From Hope Street'? I think I heard Dave Fanning play it...I think I liked the version on the 'Come on up..." EP better..

I've never seen the YLT vid...must keep an eye on it. Looking forward to seeing both artists mentioned in this post in Olympia on 11th Apr.

- Fintan

I can't say anything about no disco because they played my bands video and I don't see it that often anyway because its on way past my bedtime. Its those singer/songwriters you refered to that annoy me. Dishwater is definitely a good description. These spawn of David Gray and Paddy Casey are an epidemic equivalent in severity to the boyband epidemic. What annoys me is the attitude taken by some that 3+ piece rock bands are cavemen and that someone standing on the stage single handedly boring a whole venue into numbness is a real artiste.

for christ's sake we're the people who made david gray famous.....
an empty by the numbers mumblefest if i ever i heard one.....

Last night I caught ten minutes of No Disco and saw Mogwai and Lackluster. Leagues roooools.

no disco has never been as consistent as now under the reins of mr leagues.in the last 5 weeks i've even begun taping videos again.the frames,david kitt, northstation,yolatengo,tortoise,low,gorillaz,dakota oak trio,and i gaurantee you its the only place you will see the new weezer video next month-i personally cannot wait for that.weezer-weezer was the very first c-d i bought, before i even got a cd player.anyone

I know you i know where you live. fuckin jacksons. Abc, outkasts and all that. what has everyone got against singer songwriters i think theyre very good (but then im biased)i think theyre a very valid form of music. just cause its quieter than all that heavy metal shit ye all listen to and just cause one person has the guts to stand up on stage alone ... whats my point again? oh yeah i like singer songwriters they write the best songs AND NO ONE WRITES SONGS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back