chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
not a sausage all day?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0308/nielection2.html

A former social worker who had to carry a personal panic alarm because of racial attacks was tonight on the verge of becoming the first Chinese member of the new Northern Ireland Assembly. Hong Kong born mother-of-two Anna Lo, 56, who has been living in Belfast for 32 years, was set for a stunning victory for the Alliance Party in Belfast South.

Her constituency, which includes the up-market Malone as well as the working class Catholic lower Ormeau and Protestant Donegall Road districts, is said to be by far the worst for racial attacks, and she herself has been kicked on the street.

But she had the last laugh on the bigots after polling almost 4,000 first preference votes to virtually guarantee her a seat at Stormont.

the northenr irish elections have made me sad/der.

the only positive that i can draw from that is that the greens won a seat so now when sinn fein say they are the only all ireland party, you can point to the fact that the greens have an MLA (before they had councillors in northern ireland though)

actually it's always been polarising. i dream of a northern ireland where people don't vote based on their religous background of their great great grandfathers

let's face, hardly any of the people go to mass

Well depends on what way you look at it....when the UUP and SDLP were the biggest parties respectively for each of their communities obviously they were less extreme and nearer to each others positions compared to the extreme end of the stick views/politics of the DUP and Sinn Fein.

let's face, hardly any of the people go to mass

That's a gross misunderstanding of, or reduction of, the problems in the North. It's the division between loyalism/unionism and republicanism/nationalism that causes the problems. Remove religion from the equation and I fear things would be pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back