Newstalk ad with John O'Shea (the Goal one) (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

Has anyone seen this billboard? It's disgusting. I was reading through the Cathal Ó Searcaigh thread and that reminded me about it.
A picture of John O'Shea wading through a vertiable field of grateful African kids.
"What do I always listen to? My conscience, my (something else) and Your Call on Newstalk 106"

You know, one of the most uncomfortable moments in my professional life involved John O'Shea. The GOAL offices used to be located next door to a financial institution. One day he passed by the window and many very wealthy men began joking about him and his work. I really wished the ground would open up and swallow me.

Note: I am far from being a wealthy man.

You know, one of the most uncomfortable moments in my professional life involved John O'Shea. The GOAL offices used to be located next door to a financial institution. One day he passed by the window and many very wealthy men began joking about him and his work. I really wished the ground would open up and swallow me.

Note: I am far from being a wealthy man.

Any time he comes on the telly my dad curses him (the older John). I'd say he hates him more than Hitler.
Very corrupt, according to my dad.
I haven't looked into it, but the 'orrible self-publicising in that ad would make me question his character.
In fairness, holding an association with Your Call on Newstalk would be enough to make me question anyone's character.

Any time he comes on the telly my dad curses him (the older John). I'd say he hates him more than Hitler.
Very corrupt, according to my dad.
I haven't looked into it, but the 'orrible self-publicising in that ad would make me question his character.
In fairness, holding an association with Your Call on Newstalk would be enough to make me question anyone's character.

Well, if not corrupt I believe he has a habit of flying off the handle and causing trouble in the countries he is trying to help out in. So he can make the situation worse rather than better. I don't know though, I could easily stand to be corrected on this (second hand info from someone who was involved with African Aid).

He's worse than Bono.

He's not worse than Bono. You know what really grinds my gears is that Bono was quite happy to be resident in Ireland while it was a tax free zone for artists. Then as soon as the legislation is changed so that people who earn bucketloads (like himself) have to pay some tax he makes Sweden or some place his tax home. So, for all that he bangs on about helping the poor and the marginalised he is not happy to in anyway contribute to this country - from funding hospitals to homeless shelters and so on....

He's not worse than Bono. You know what really grinds my gears is that Bono was quite happy to be resident in Ireland while it was a tax free zone for artists. Then as soon as the legislation is changed so that people who earn bucketloads (like himself) have to pay some tax he makes Sweden or some place his tax home. So, for all that he bangs on about helping the poor and the marginalised he is not happy to in anyway contribute to this country - from funding hospitals to homeless shelters and so on....

See also: Bob Geldof.

Typical Irish begrudgery.

Nah, because I have no problem with say Enya moving her tax home because she will pay tax in Ireland because she doesnt come on tv and bang on about giving more money to help the needy, I just think people should practice what they preach...

Nah, because I have no problem with say Enya moving her tax home because she will pay tax in Ireland because she doesnt come on tv and bang on about giving more money to help the needy, I just think people should practice what they preach...

I was only joshing.

John O'Shea comes as across as too heavy handed for my tastes; he's like a chugger who'll break your thumbs if you don't donate.

I was only joshing.

John O'Shea comes as across as too heavy handed for my tastes; he's like a chugger who'll break your thumbs if you don't donate.

I have started smiling at chuggers and telling them that I signed up with one of their friends already.

what about VAT generated by sales of u2 albums and tickets and the employment they generate. not to mention the u2 tourist trail? ah tax, you soap dodgers sponge off the dole for half your lives, then sit at home in your jocks moaning about the government. what if bono did pay tax. would you listen to him then? come on people, what are the tax records of thom yorke? or britney? anyone got them to hand?

cop on.

pricks.

p.s. i'm not bono.

what about VAT generated by sales of u2 albums and tickets and the employment they generate. not to mention the u2 tourist trail? ah tax, you soap dodgers sponge off the dole for half your lives, then sit at home in your jocks moaning about the government. what if bono did pay tax. would you listen to him then? come on people, what are the tax records of thom yorke? or britney? anyone got them to hand?

cop on.

pricks.

p.s. i'm not bono.

All countries have their own VAT rates applicable only within the country. The U2 tourist trail hardly adds up to a significant figure in Ireland's GDP. Like I said earlier, I just want people to practice what they preach. In Bono's case he is very interested in everyone doing their part, texting into famineaid or whatever and supporting various charities. But he doesnt want to pay tax the primary puropose of which is to allow a country to create public infrastructure, provide public services, employ teachers, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back