Newsflash! Man disagrees with poll result. (2 Viewers)

Speed Racer

Website
www.c64.com
Hendrix Voted World's Best Guitarist

Hendrix Voted World's Best Guitarist

full text goto http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12071472,00.html

Total Guitar top 20:

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Eric Clapton.

4. Slash.

5. Brian May.

6. Joe Satriani.

7. Eddie Van Halen.

8. Dave Gilmour.

9. Kirk Hammett (Metallica).

10. Steve Vai.

11. Carlos Santana.

12. James Hetfield (Metallica).

13. Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine).

14. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana).

15. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits).

16. Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne).

17. Gary Moore.

18. Jeff Beck.

19. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

20. Angus Young (AC/DC).JJ

Hooray for Jimmy Page!! Much better than Clapton.

.|..|

Originally posted by quackster
so is phil collins still the world's best drummer?

Oh no! Seems like you posted on the wrong thread by mistake. Don't come here. You wont like it. It's just me and the Tumbleweed.:(

"Tumbleweed" as opposed to "tumbleweed". the proper noun. that put me in mind of some (theme?) song - "whoa-oh weeeeeeeee....are the Tumbleweeds". what was that about?

Originally posted by quackster
"Tumbleweed" as opposed to "tumbleweed". the proper noun. that put me in mind of some (theme?) song - "whoa-oh weeeeeeeee....are the Tumbleweeds". what was that about?

Tumbleweed apparently

Re: Hendrix Voted World's Best Guitarist

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Hooray for Jimmy Page!! Much better than Clapton.
Both great guitarrist, you can't enjoy Clapton until you see him live. Besides, I never saw Eric Clapton playing a dreadful solo with a stupid double necked guitar when Limp Bizkit were perfoming a poor cover version of a Led Zeppelin song at the MTV European Music Awards....................................!bog

Re: Re: Hendrix Voted World's Best Guitarist

Originally posted by Alex

Both great guitarrist, you can't enjoy Clapton until you see him live. Besides, I never saw Eric Clapton playing a dreadful solo with a stupid double necked guitar when Limp Bizkit were perfoming a poor cover version of a Led Zeppelin song at the MTV European Music Awards....................................!bog

So true...awful moment, Alot to do with a bottle of Grog me thinks. Still when he's sober he's amazing. He should of read up on how awful Limp Bizkit were. Hey, maybe he did it on purpose, to fuck it all up when he realised they were just a pair of untalented yankee cunts.!bog !bog

Very bad moment though

That list's a little hiruite for my tastes. And it's dominated by rockers since the 60's. At the daredevil risk of being called a name dropper, there following ommissions from the world of blues and jazz are dissappointing.

BB King
Robert Jonhson
Rev Gary Davis
Mississippi John Hurt
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Wes Mongtomery
Grant Green
Django Reihardt

Although only Robert Johnson could possibly touch Hendrix as the greatest.

Sorry this was supposed to be in response to Speed Racer's thread on the Sky poll about the greatest guitar players. Sorry for those of you who got excited about a brand new thread.

Re: Re: Re: Hendrix Voted World's Best Guitarist

the people who did this poll had no taste in music

how the fuck are kirk hammett and james hetfield so high up when metallica suck ass, even mcintyre of the revs is better than them too

and kur cobain, every single guiytar rift of his was the same

TOM MORELLO is the best guitarist in the world ever and he shoulkd be no. 1

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Sorry this was supposed to be in response to Speed Racer's thread on the Sky poll about the greatest guitar players. Sorry for those of you who got excited about a brand new thread.

threads merged

can i just say that i can't enjoy clapton until i see him dead?

I'd tend to agree with alot of the objections to this list. Kurt does not belong there. Definetley more Blues and Jazz guitarists. Django Reinhart and Bo Diddley for sure. But everyone knows these polls are Just about popular rock stuff, and that most of the voters haven't a clue about guitar playing and REAL guitar innovators. I like Jimmy Page there because he was a great Writer and innovator for his time..|..|

nuno bettencourt? much better guitarist than kurt cobain or james hetfield. yer man (ira kaplan?) from yo la tengo ain't no slouch either but that's all contemporary rock shtick. watching the bbc on monday night and this big jazz band were on - spellbinding. i'd say you could safely fill the top 100 guitarists list with names you've never heard of from jazz.

Originally posted by conor
nuno bettencourt? much better guitarist than kurt cobain or james hetfield. yer man (ira kaplan?) from yo la tengo ain't no slouch either but that's all contemporary rock shtick. watching the bbc on monday night and this big jazz band were on - spellbinding. i'd say you could safely fill the top 100 guitarists list with names you've never heard of from jazz.

Yeah The Jazz Guitarists are the most inventive type. But they're the quiet type. Only in it for the Music, not the Stardom.

I'm gonna sound sooo funcking middle-aged when I say this:

I saw a jazz trio called Django Book in cork last weekend.
They're one of the many jazz outfits that do pubs all over Ireland and england.

The guitarist was of course a woodwork teacher in appearence but jesus could he play.

I've been a big fan of Django Reihardt's stuff for years and, although this was just a fair immitation at best
it was still amazing to see someone play that well.

amazing and depressing for me.

Now yer all picturing me at a jazz lark in the park with a baby on me knee and a sweater round me neck.

one more thing: Mark Ribot.....no?

Originally posted by pete
can i just say that i can't enjoy clapton until i see him dead?
:D :D :D Classic!!!

I used to H8 Clapton then I saw him playing live.......... well, he was on stage with Steve Gadd, Marcus Miller, Dave Sanborn and Joe Sample*....probably the best gig of my life....!!!

However he had this mad fuzzy sound and played deadly, absolutely NOTHING to do with his commercial crap!

Someone help me to pick up these names please, please, pleeeease!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back