New to SLR, need a quick summary in 24 hours. (1 Viewer)

Janer

Website
www.youtube.com
Was looking at the Canon EOS 400D and read a few reviews and comaprisons to it's 2 main rivals in the same class Nikon D80 and Sony A100.
So thought I'd find out any other useful things I should know.......

imho having played with and researched all 3 mentioned slrs about 18 months ago, the eos 400d is the better all round piece of hardware for your first slr. i'm slightly biased towards canon tho coming as i do from the photocopier servicing industry. :)

The subjective difference between the Canon and Nikon is probably minimal unless you have specific requirements, I think. Neither will let you down on picture quality or usability, so you might as well go into a shop, try both in your hands and see which you prefer. Don't know anything about the Sony.

The old man did extensive researching about this, and he already knew a bit about non-digital cameras before he started it.
He was going buy a Nikon at the start, but in the end he went for a Canon.
I am not totally certain why.
Both have very good optics, allegedly.
I think the Canon won because of the way the focusing works. The motor is in the lens, meaning that it will snap into focus faster, or some such.
The focusing on the Canon is quick anyway, it can lock onto moving things, and track them, and fire away shots.

Basically, as I understand it, you have your lens, and on your lens you have a yoke that controls the amount of light getting in, called the aperture, and you have a yoke which you can focus the light onto the plate / film.
And then you have the shutter speed.

Thats it. There are three variables. Oh, and the film speed.
The faster the film, the higher the number, and the grainyer the pic. The lower the number, the slower the film, the finer the pic. You want to use the lowest number you can get away with.
Or... does that not matter with digital Cameras?
I dunno. There is some analogue I think anyway.

Anyway, you have a light meter to make sure you are getting the right balance.
You open up the aperture to let more light in, when its dark maybe, and then you can quicken the shutter speed to balance that.
The basics are not that complicated to get your head around.

If you let a lot of light in, have the aperture stopped all the way open, you can take shots with a large depth of field (meaning everything is in focus).
If you stop it down, you will have a narrower depth of focus.
Which makes sense when you think about it.

How much?
About €769 from Pixels in Liffey st, I know it's prob dearer than online from UK/Pixmania but I need it sharpish and also if anything goes wrong etc...
They do throw in a 2gig card and a case, irish online sites are basically same price/

Flashback that is a great reply....did you tailor that for my brain? :D
Half tempted now to get one for myself too but just don't know if I could put the time and effort into it and hell I'd miss my vid cam!

Interesting thing is my GF is going to NY this week and the Canon EOS 400D is only 525 dollars over there which is around 365 euros!!!
This is the body only and I have read numerous times that the lens that comes with it here in Ireland is pretty average, so wondering what lens would I aim for?

That was the very place I was sending her too, she is staying very central, close to central park maybe.
I had googled NY camera shops and a little map came up with A B and C overlaying the map.
B&H was the shop I was most impressed with.

That was the very place I was sending her too, she is staying very central, close to central park maybe.
I had googled NY camera shops and a little map came up with A B and C overlaying the map.
B&H was the shop I was most impressed with.

Its an amazing place just to go to, even if you are not going to buy anything.

The lads there are class too.

B&H is awesome, bought my current lens in there a month or so ago, not especially friendly, but extemely knowledgeable and very helpful. Second hand department on the other hand are cunts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back