New Microdisney Anthology, Viva Dead Ponies reissue.... (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
MICRODISNEY: THE FIRST COMPILATION OUT NOW!

MICRODISNEY: Daunt Square To Elsewhere: Anthology 1982-88

(Castle / Santuary / CMEDD1568)

Microdisney are a seminal Irish band. Formed in Cork by Cathal Coughlan and Sean O'Hagan, they went onto create some of the most important recordings in Irish rock music.

Like many bands, who may otherwise have gone unrecognised, they were given a wider audience by BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel. They recorded for Kabuki, Rough Trade and Virgin records. Albums included the early compilation 'We Hate You South African Bastards! '(later renamed 'Love Your Enemies'), 'Everybody Is Fantastic' and 'The Clock Comes Down The Stairs'. After signing to Virgin they released two albums 'Crooked Mile' and '39 Minutes'. Their second single, 1983’s 'Pink Skinned Man' is a superb indie record, produced by Dave Feeley. They began recording in Cork, producing a muted atmospheric sound. After their initial Peel sessions and meeting with John Porter (also of the Smiths) their sound became more commercial and chart orientated. 'Town to Town' (1985) was a fine rock-along sing-song but Microdisney’s 1987 single 'Singer’s Hampstead Home' is often described as an attack on Boy George (of Culture Club fame). This is the first compilation from one of the UK’s best post punk
bands.

Disc 1
Hello Rascals / Pink Skinned Man / Dolly/ A Few Kisses / Dreaming Drains / I'll Be A Gentleman / Sun / Liberal Love / Everybody Is Dead / Patrick Moore Says You Can't Sleep Here / Michael Murphy / Love Your Enemies / 464 Loftholdingswood

Disc 2
Past / Birthday Girl / Horse Overboard / Begging Bowl / And / Are You Happy / Town To Town / Big Sleeping House / Rack / Mrs Simpson / Give Me All Of Your Clothes / Singer's Hampstead Home / United Colours / Gale Force Wind

=====

Microdisney are a seminal Irish band. Formed in Cork by Cathal Coughlan and Sean O'Hagan, they went onto create some of the most important recordings in Irish rock music.

is that really the case, or is it just little bit of embellishment to help sales?

only discovered this band recently, and the only people i know who were able to tell me much about them don't really talk much about them...

is that really the case, or is it just little bit of embellishment to help sales?

only discovered this band recently, and the only people i know who were able to tell me much about them don't really talk much about them...

I agree with Jim.
Microdisney's first three albums [Everybody Is Fantastic, the comp We Hate You South African Bastards and The Clock Comes Down The Stairs] are utterly, er, fantastic.

Back in the mid-1980s they shone very brightly on my musical radar and this has not diminished with the passing of time.

Fatima Mansions. Equally neglected and just as wonderful.

More familiar with the Mansions stuff and CCs solo stuff.

I think for the newomer his solo stuff could be the best place to start - Grand Necropolitan, Black River Falls, The Skys Awful Blue, Foburg. His great songwriting and voice is stuck right up front. Berties Brochures similarly is unfettered by squals of noise and musical mischief making which is great an all but not when CCs vocals and words are besmirched and muddied as a result (a plausible criticism certainly of some of the Mansions other stuff).

Lyrically it's very heavy especially Foburg, the new one. However, on repeated listens it reveals itself to be an amazing record with great variation. 'Ophelia Crescent Is Burning', the opening track is an amazing tune. At one point he sings the line 'Dont Be Shy of Agony or Destruction' and all I'll say is go listen - its truly wonderful. The line in fact sums up why his solo records are such an engaging listen. Alot of the time one has no clue what he's singing about but its absolutely gripping, edgy and dark. He's compared quite a lot with Scott Walker but I dont know enough of Walkers stuff to say.

I have a feeling Cathals new one 'Foburg' is so far ahead of almost anything else at the moment and time will acknowledge this.

I have viva dead ponies and I like it.

I remember that microdisney song where they were on the back of a truck in the video (I think). I went through a brief phase of trying to buy microdisney albums when I was a teenager. Never found any. Was this due to my inept efforts or wha?

edit: also "one of the UK’s best post punk
bands". sigh.

Saw it for £1.99 in the bargain bin of a record shop in London recently, but... the bargain bin was out in the sun and it was so warped it looked like a giant KP Skip. Boo.

I remember most of the songs on it from Capital Radio back in the day, they loved it and quite rightly played it to death.

I have viva dead ponies and I like it.

I remember that microdisney song where they were on the back of a truck in the video (I think). I went through a brief phase of trying to buy microdisney albums when I was a teenager. Never found any. Was this due to my inept efforts or wha?

edit: also "one of the UK’s best post punk
bands". sigh.

Video was probably Town to Town.

The three albums I mentioned above were originally on Rough Trade and were scarce once the label went bust in the early 1990s. Rev-ola reissued them in 1996 but they disappeared fast.

Their two albums for Virgin, Crooked Mile and 39 Minutes tended to pop up a bit more.

I think the 'UK label' was bestowed given that they primarily based themselves in London.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back