new dublin venue (2 Viewers)

Too late, its already been ruined by crusty trad enthusiasts, one of them is a good friend of yours Byrneos. :p

Actually, you should come up some Sunday night to the session.

haven't seen the downstairs but it could be a good spot, upstairs is lovely and posh. no cost to rent and that ny lunatic who runs the place gives free shots to the bands. should definitely be looked into.

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_05dscn0023mayday.jpg

Or is he "no friend of mine"? :p

Most of the local gigs don't have more then 100 people though and if people have a bigger overseas band coming over they can always revert back to the regular venues.
The Music room was so small and tight yet that was prob the most atmospheric venue.

It's a tiny place but like Janer pointed out, the average local gig only draws a crowd of less than 100 people anyway. I hope they do a good job with this place this time as it's a grand spot, near city centre etc.

Yeah I guess your right. But there's definatly no chance of a drunken walk home though! Probably a good thing.

"One word: Ha! Never was there a more cautionary tale of Celtic Tiger excess than this place here. I passed by it recently and admittedly danced a little jig of schadenfreudic glee at its demise. What do you do if you have a cool, authentic, small, old, run down little pub, right next to an art college, with relaxed staff, music on every night of the week, with queues out the door at the weekend, with people like Andy Weatherall playing surprise DJ sets there, with people up dancing on the tables and chairs in a raucous atmosphere, having a great time, and pouring money into the tills of the pub? Why, you shut it down for a couple of years of course! Thereby alienating any of the regular clientele you had who felt they had a bit of ownership over the place by organising the music nights there, and then renovate it into a soulless, steel and black leather, generic boozer that you could find in any other part of the city, with zero character and zero atmosphere, build some equally generic apartments over it, and what do you get? A derelict pub! Here's a word of advice for any would be investors out there who think that gutting a pub and making it nice and new and fancy will suddenly bring in a load more business (another example at the moment is Walsh's in Stoneybatter) - LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE. Some of your customers might actually like the old tattered seats, the carpets, the welcoming smell of generations of spilled beer. The Thomas House tried to recapture its cool with DJs and the like, performing in the non-space of upstairs, and occasionally getting a crowd in downstairs in the miserable basement, but to be honest I'm glad its closed, may it stand as a shining example of the idiocy of killing the goose that lays the golden egg in early 2000's Dublin."

http://derelictdublin.blogspot.com/2008/08/thomas-house-86-thomas-street-dublin-8.html

Here's a word of advice for any would be investors out there who think that gutting a pub and making it nice and new and fancy will suddenly bring in a load more business (another example at the moment is Walsh's in Stoneybatter) - LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE.

Don't tell me they're fucking about with Walshs? Used to pop in there quite a bit when I lived in the area. I remember being in the "lounge" with about three other punters plus the barman, rugby was on the tv and not one of us understood what the fuck was going on! We were all guessing why the ref was blowing his whistle at odd times.

great fucking pub or itwas at least said in the news paper a while back they knocked it all into one big room and put in a massive tv.

I hope there's a special place in hell reserved for the folk responsible for this carry on :mad:

Ah Walsh's.Brings me back.Was a heavy regular in there for a long time.Pool table upstairs was great(until I got blamed for a smashed window).I think I'm gonna cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back