New Christmas single from Low (1 Viewer)

It's hilarious the way it makes a visit from Santa seem comparable to Freddy Krueger calling over. There's a dub-reggae type tune with Mimi singing on the B-side of the single that's quite nice.

I don't agree with pretty bad decline.. I think there's been a lot of good material on the last 2 albums but they weren't served the best by poor production and arrangement decisions.. The Great Destroyer and Drums and Guns stuff are much better if you get a good live recording.

Yeah might try to do that. I wasn't into those records at all though. I won't lie, I just want another Things We Lost In The Fire...

yeah I agree Richie - personally I think Great Destroyer is absolutely amazing (there's maybe one, two songs on there max that don't blow me away) but because it's so much louder than their previous albums, and was produced differently, some people can't see beyond that.

The thing about Drums and Guns is that the drum machine makes most of the songs feel rather one-dimensional, and the production just isn't as intimate or immediate as other albums. But, like Richie said, when they're performed live, the songs take on a whole new life of their own -Murderer, Violent Past, Breaker, Sandinista there's so much more to them, the lyrics feel more intense, they're powerful and not one-dimensional any longer. For me, Drums & Guns is heartbreaking, and in a totally different way to, say, I Could Live in Hope, which just kills me - but for completely different reasons.

There's a sense in some circles of 'I preferred their early stuff' and that Low were only good when they were truly lo-fi. But like every band, they've had to evolve - and it's pretty remarkable that there are very, very few of their singles/records that aren't brilliant. It's disappointing that this single isn't fantastic, but they set the bar pretty high for themselves and they generally reach it.

I do suspect though that things may be winding up for Low - and that Retribution Gospel Choir is the project Alan's most passionate about at the moment.

They're Mormons, aren't they? Why are they so obsessed with Christmas? They put an album of Christmas songs out already.

It's like Leonard Cohen always banging on about Jesus.

I love Low's song which goes: "You can't trust in violence" for about 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's Violence off Long Division. Love that album.

Oh and re Low moving onto new styles, obviously i understand bands have to progress etc... i just didn't like what they progressed onto...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back