Mr Gunn appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
relay your experiences with this pleasant legend of a man.

i called in today to get some film and we had a little chat, and he goes:

'best thing i ever heard is that imagination is better than information'

.|..|::clef:::heart::)

(was there a thread about him before?)

Top geezer. The lorra them are. Buy as much as I can from them, so I do.

Mr. Gunne said something similar to me, but also something along these lines:

"Cartier-Bresson was a very good photographer, but most of all he was a great editor of his own photos."

Stellar advice to an enthusiastic amateur.

well this is the thing!!! he totally feeds off enthisiasm and in return i feed off his. it's a winning situation.

i love him.

that cartier bresson quote is awesome :)

he once gave me some film for free; orwo 80, bbe jan 1973. he'd held on to it, rather than binning it, and gave it out to people who had interesting ideas for it.

unfortunately, it didn't work out; i was going to try pinhole photography on a hasselblad, but unfortunately the shutter mechanism is in the lens.

There is a thread or 2 on boards photo site, His daughters have also explained lots to me when I asked newbie questions......
I wouldn't buy anywhere else......
The 450D was cheaper in there than any other shop in Dublin too.

There is a thread or 2 on boards photo site, His daughters have also explained lots to me when I asked newbie questions......
I wouldn't buy anywhere else......
The 450D was cheaper in there than any other shop in Dublin too.

How much?

relay your experiences with this pleasant legend of a man.

i called in today to get some film and we had a little chat, and he goes:

'best thing i ever heard is that imagination is better than information'

.|..|::clef:::heart::)

(was there a thread about him before?)

you'll rarely go into there without coming out with some tips, a new idea, or just a general happy buzz from giving money to people who are friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about their trade.

lovely man. about 8 years ago he gave me a battery for my camera but when I went to pay, I didn't have any cash. he told me to drop it in whenever I had it. I came by 2 days later with the cash and he'd forgotten all about it but was extremely grateful. gas. as if I wouldn't show up!

How much?
€740 body
€820 with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

Glad I got the lens I wasn't going to but I am using it far more than I thought I would, quality seems fine enough for a beginner like me.

The 450D in Conns was 850 with kit and 750 without.
Camera centre it was 840
Pixels 850 again
Dublin Camera Exchange it's again 850 but includes a measly 1gb mem card which they don't mention what brand.

My 2gb Fuji memory card in Gunn's was €25.

I know I've total peace of mind compared to the otehr shops let alone online.

I had a Samsung monitor bought online break on me a few months back, no way could I be bothered trying to chase up any help/rebate etc

€740 body
€820 with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

Glad I got the lens I wasn't going to but I am using it far more than I thought I would, quality seems fine enough for a beginner like me.

The 450D in Conns was 850 with kit and 750 without.
Camera centre it was 840
Pixels 850 again
Dublin Camera Exchange it's again 850 but includes a measly 1gb mem card which they don't mention what brand.

My 2gb Fuji memory card in Gunn's was €25.

I know I've total peace of mind compared to the otehr shops let alone online.

I had a Samsung monitor bought online break on me a few months back, no way could I be bothered trying to chase up any help/rebate etc

Nice, it's 850 up here too. If only I had some money to spend in this great shop.

Mr. Gunn is a lovely man.

When the Spar opened on that street, it wasn’t long before the Mace and the Londis closed down.
Then Spar closed and was replaced by that “Fresh” place.

Now, if we can just get rid of that new Tesco’s (which isn’t great btw), the whole street will be full of interesting shops that are full of interesting people.

We need more Mr. Gunn’s is what I’m saying.

[/waffle]

The moustachioed butcher across the road is the Mr. Gunne of meat. He could wax lyrical about a good fillet steak until the cows come home. Also, a great weather forecaster.

The moustachioed butcher across the road is the Mr. Gunne of meat. He could wax lyrical about a good fillet steak until the cows come home. Also, a great weather forecaster.

the family-owned butchers beside gunne's is crying out for its photo to be taken. it's just got a real traditional no bullshit buzz about it. just need to be there at the right time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back