(Mobile) Recording set-up (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
Currently getting together a mobile recording setup, so I'm looking for some recommendations...I know its not ideal having a dedicated recording space, until I do, I'm thinking of going for the live gig and quality-demo market.

SOUNDCARD: This is my main concern as I'd like a soundcard with really good A/D converters, and quality pre-amps (4 would be nice, and I may pick up an extra dedicated pre-amp later if needs be)...I may be able to spend up to 800yo-yos on this, as I feel its probably the most important part of the chain...should I just bite the bullet, throw in some extra cash and go for the digi 002? Some folks aren't mad about the digi converters...I've heard good things about MOTU...anyone?

LAPTOP: What is the most important consideration here? RAM? Processor (dual-core)? Do I need to match motherboard with soundcard?

I'll pick up an external hard drive, and arsenal of mics as I go but I just need advice on the essentials to start with...giving myself a budget of €2,500 for laptop + soundacard.

Appreciate any advice.

Hey dude.
I'd seriously look at MOTU stuff.
The Presonus Fire-something-or-other is a good 002 alternative, too.
I've got a Dell Inspiron and 002r. Get as much processor muscle and RAM as possible. I really have to take my laptop up to 2GB, but it's gonna cost €300. Laptop RAM is pricy, and may be worth putting in right from the get-go. Dell do a 3-year finance thingy - my laptop worked out at about €60 a month or something.
Remember that the auld 002 only has 4 preamps, btw.
I'll prattle on some more on Saturday while those dudes are laying down trax :)

RED(tape)MENACE said:
Hey dude.
I'd seriously look at MOTU stuff.
The Presonus Fire-something-or-other is a good 002 alternative, too.
I've got a Dell Inspiron and 002r. Get as much processor muscle and RAM as possible. I really have to take my laptop up to 2GB, but it's gonna cost €300. Laptop RAM is pricy, and may be worth putting in right from the get-go. Dell do a 3-year finance thingy - my laptop worked out at about €60 a month or something.
Remember that the auld 002 only has 4 preamps, btw.
I'll prattle on some more on Saturday while those dudes are laying down trax :)

Cheers Pete, I'll shall indeed pick your brain on Saturday..|..|

Watch out with laptops for memory capacity too, space is at a premium in there and while most laptops leave a couple of slots free for extra memory but some don't.

Take a look at the new macbooks... nicely powered and really simple. I use a powerbook with an edirol UA-25 interface (for geet and hooking to a PA) and edirol 25 key midi keyboard. Its tidy and functional.

So I decided on the Digi 002R, and have ordered it...now I need to get myself a laptop...I was looking at some laptops in Harvey Normans at the weekend, and narrowed it down to a couple of possible ones...as I said I would like to get a laptop that would allow me to record/mix live gigs, aswell as being good to record a full band (say 8 simultaneous inputs using Protools, possibly 16 in the future)...I have an ancient PC at home that I'd like to retire and just use the laptop for all audio applications, as I would like the ability to be mobile. I know I'm kinda limiting myself with a laptop but I am prepared to spend some cash on it to get a good spec. Can you have a look at these 2 and give me the pros and cons please...

Fujitsu Siemens A3667G
Features:
AMD Athlon 64 (not sure, but probably 2.2 or 2.4 Ghz)
1024MB RAM
80GB HD
DVD burner, ATI Mobility Radeon X700, 17" TFT screen

HP Dv5133
Features:
Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz
1GB Memory (RAM)
100GB HD
DVD burner, 128MB shared graphics card, 15.4" HD widescreen

I appreciate any advice...

i have the HP dv1665ea and it's pretty sweet, same chip as that one.

You've nothing to lose my firing an email to the digi people and asking if there's any now conflicts with either of those chipsets that you've narrowed down to.

i have the HP dv1665ea and it's pretty sweet, same chip as that one.

You've nothing to lose my firing an email to the digi people and asking if there's any now conflicts with either of those chipsets that you've narrowed down to.

Looked on the degidesign site and one of their recommendations is the Inspiron 9400...veering towards that now...has at least the same spec as your HP so it should be able to cope...do you use a digi002 yourself Igor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back