Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (1 Viewer)

I'd have thought that nepotism was preferential treatment or favoritism.
Being a relative doesn't necessarily mean you're not the best person for the job.
welllllllllll, not technically maybe

it's not like they're doing rocket science though is it, they just need some lad to present some ould shite about britain whenever. and hey look, here's my son!

welllllllllll, not technically maybe

it's not like they're doing rocket science though is it, they just need some lad to present some ould shite about britain whenever. and hey look, here's my son!

Wellllll, technically you got us into definitions, which is sorta technical.

But exactly my point. It seems like obvious favoritism in that specific case; but there's no damage done as it's just some programme no one saw. Vexing, but not harmful.
Not sure how you deal with this sort of thing.

I'm sure NASA have it figured out though.

wha? the jobs are going to the sons/brother/nephew of some lad instead of everyone having a fair go at them; that's the point the article is making

I'd wager that being a relative probably means you weren't the best person for the job.

edit the rest: ah nevermind

Last edited:
5159585.jpg

wha? the jobs are going to the sons/brother/nephew of some lad instead of everyone having a fair go at them; that's the point the article is making
A cherry-picked example of a few jobs. Which happens everywhere.
Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not.

If he's going to make the case, he needs more than anecdotal evidence and he probably needs to tie it to actual harm done.

I'd wager that being a relative probably means you weren't the best person for the job.

Hardly.
For any number of reasons, they can often be the best people for the job, depending on the circumstances.
Nepotism is not the same thing as hiring relatives. It just overlaps.

A cherry-picked example of a few jobs. Which happens everywhere.
Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not.

If he's going to make the case, he needs more than anecdotal evidence and he probably needs to tie it to actual harm done.
examples aren't anecdotal evidence

the harm done is that the job is taken by a family member of a senior employee and not offered fairly, by a publicly-funded organisation that "aims to reflect the diversity of the UK."

Have you even read the article? It's not an article about nepotism in the BBC.

Ok, well then you'll be happy to know that at no point does this article claim that nepotism is widely practiced in the BBC.

Just heavily implies it

What this personnel snapshot reveals is an organization structured upon an almost hermetically sealed class system where, if not outright nepotism, certainly a family introduction seems to advance careers,

A family introduction is not nepotism.

Similar to how a single example is not a wider study.

A family introduction is not nepotism.
When he says "if not outright nepotism" his meaning is "it's basically nepotism". It's why he uses the word nepotism. He wants you to regard it as such.
His meaning is certainly not "A family introduction is not nepotism.". It is essentially the opposite of that.

if not outright nepotism, certainly a family introduction seems to advance careers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back