Micheal Parky slags Jade Goody- too soon??? (1 Viewer)

Red_Dog

Heres what auld Parky said about the late Jade Goody.

What do yiz think

1) True
2) True but bad
3) Just bad

"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of. Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di."When we clear the media smoke screen from around her death, what we're left with is a woman who came to represent all that's paltry and wretched about Britain today.
"She was brought up on a sink estate, as a child came to know drugs and crime, was barely educated, ignorant and puerile. Then she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited til the day she died."

hmmm, agree but, he's probably done alienated all the jade goody kids, and tey'll think this parkinson character is some form of demon, and ignore all his cool shit.

It's true, but the part about her being brought up in a poor area and encountering bad aspects of society isn't really fair. She didn't ask for that, nor do any other disadvantaged kids. I think the world had had enough of Jade Goody the first or second time she crossed over from the retarded 'social experiment' mind numb that was Big Brother into news headlines. The fact that she died from cancer at such a young age was a tragedy for her young family and friends. Anyone else upset by it needs to seriously question what on earth they are investing their lives caring about.

The good thing to come out of it, is that through her notoriety the issue of the need for early cervical cancer screening has been brought to the fore. As a result the UK government has been been put under pressure that it would not otherwise have been. Pretty much every other aspect of Jade Goody's death should be irrelevant to the general public and the media's raping of her corpse for headlines is both sickening and pathetic.

"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of. Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di."

I love the way Diana comes after martyr or saint in Parky's rant as if she was some kind of combination of the two. Hilarious. Is it too soon to tell people to get the fuck over her (Diana's) death?

It's true, but the part about her being brought up in a poor area and encountering bad aspects of society isn't really fair. She didn't ask for that, nor do any other disadvantaged kids. I think the world had had enough of Jade Goody the first or second time she crossed over from the retarded 'social experiment' mind numb that was Big Brother into news headlines. The fact that she died from cancer at such a young age was a tragedy for her young family and friends. Anyone else upset by it needs to seriously question what on earth they are investing their lives caring about.

The good thing to come out of it, is that through her notoriety the issue of the need for early cervical cancer screening has been brought to the fore. As a result the UK government has been been put under pressure that it would not otherwise have been. Pretty much every other aspect of Jade Goody's death should be irrelevant to the general public and the media's raping of her corpse for headlines is both sickening and pathetic.

agreed but I think using the phrase "sink estate" isn't a dig at Jade but a dig at Britain in general. The place has it's fair share of messed up places that are a direct result of specific policies/planning/macro-economics etc etc.

Britain likes to pride itself on some things but social mobility can't be one of them.

The brit's are STILL obsessed with class.

All credit to the like's of Jade & Kerry Katona though. Through clever use of the media they gained access to a lifestyle that they would never have got near if it was based on merit, talent, intelligence ect ... It's not their fault they're parents were morons.

From Bryan Appelyard's Blog:

Jade and Bourgeois Corruption

The point that lay behind my news piece on Jade Goody's funeral has only just become clear to me. (I had only 1200 words and an hour to write, I was sitting in a pub garden surrounded by screaming brats, the wind kept blowing my papers away and it was for the news pages, all serious obstacles to speculation.) The points lies in my two sentences - 'To say that her life was a tragic absurdity, that she was an artefact of vacuous celebrity culture, is true but it is not the whole truth. The other truth lies in the fierce possessiveness of her people.' Celebrity culture is routinely kicked in conversation and in print - sometimes by me - as the source and symptom of all our contemporary woes. It deserves kicking, it's pretty stupid and very destructive. This kicking has become a great consolation to the chattering middle classes, it seems to give them a handle on the great confusion of their lives. This, at least, they can tell themselves, is plainly horrible and wrong. It can also provide them with the effortless superiority of delivering moral homilies to their social inferiors. They are like nineteenth century temperance campaigners, except that the temperance campaigners probably did some good. Or they do not kick, they indulge. They gossip archly about the celebrity stories of the day, but, if asked about this, we are assured it is all being done in a cool, ironic, postmodern kind of way. One way or another, celebrity culture fills many middle class hours. But this, as it were, emotionally remote contact with the phenomenon is nothing next to the working class engagement that I encountered at both Diana's and Jade's funeral, the ecstatic piety at the Pope's funeral and the tribal defiance at George's Best's. It's easy to say that Jade wasn't worth it, but it's not Jade that's the point, it's that 'it'. She was merely the occasion for a ritual of identity and belonging. In the past such rituals were inspired to imperial pride, patriotism and they are still linked to football. This is not just about big events like funerals, but also about little observances in pubs and in the minds of the people. Celebrities, beneath all the the hype and the irony, are a way of fulfilling the need for story and ritual. Of course, the existence of this need is cynically, cruelly exploited for profit by the media and, of course, there are reptiles out there. But to see only that is to fail to see the truth and purity of the people's passions. And I do mean purity. For the truth is that it is not the working classes who have been corrupted by celebrity culture. It is the middle classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back