MCD vs Boards.ie (1 Viewer)

Re: Boards.ie is being sued by MCD...

Tell you what - when it's your board we're all posting on, and you've decided you're not worried about being sued, we'll have a 400 page thread on what we think of MCD. While it's someone else's, and they've said they don't want the threat of legal action, we'll keep schtum. Deal?

What RSJ said.

The options are not 'talk about it on Thumped' or 'don't say anything, anywhere, ever', but there are a lot of other ways, if you do believe this is a serious thing -- and I think we all should for a number of reasons that even Thumped Essay Queen won't go into on Thumped (and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about them anyway) -- to find fora for discussion.

Not really being free to talk about it on Thumped is not the fault of Thumped or of Pete -- this is a symptom, and not the problem in itself. If boards is being sued, no matter what any of us thinks about boards, that's a problem for everyone, and this could be a really precedent-setting case that we should all be concerned about. Again, for a number of reasons. If we want to bring back the right to speak freely on the internet, then it may be necessary -- not to willingly give up our rights, because that's not what anyone is saying -- but to find ways to do that that don't involve making kiddy-fiddling jokes on Thumped, or just thumbing our noses at it.

noble sentiments indeed, but i'm not sure where calling someone a kiddy fiddler (alleged or otherwise) fits into that. hence the deletion.

Comments like that are so obvoiusly satire that I don't see how they are actionable.

Heresay about what actually happened at poxygen and then drawing the conclusion that MCD didn't act competently is where the possible trouble lies- and people should perhaps let that issue lie. But I think though we are all well beyond that at this stage and everyone here has long ago drawn their own conclusions along the was about what actually hapened.

When it comes to the sueing though that is different.

Bullyboy nonsense and people should not be afraid to say so. I don't want to appear to be brave with someone elses train set and its up to you ultimtely. I just find people brethlessly asserting how serious this is is nonsense. It's a concert promoter having a spurious spat with a message board and whatever the outcome now MCD will come out the worse for it.

Concert promoter sues internet! Ha Ha

yes, what jane said.

the typically uninformed responses prove my point quite nicely. since pricks like code ninja obviously don't give a fuck or even understand reality as it exists away from their computers, i'll limit this to a quick summary of what i can actually back up, in the real world.

- firstly that if you automatically assume that everything posted on boards.ie was true accounts of what went on, i have some majick beans you might be interested in purchasing. there were libellous comments that have not been backed up by any witnesses that i have interviewed on record.

- secondly that there were serious allegations made and that these have been, and will be reported in a manner that doesn't leave pete liable for their publication

- thirdly that like it or not if you slag off a major company you are damaging their reputation and they will take measures to publicly demonstrate that you are lying about them. if you aren't lying about them you have to back it up. that's not a statement of opinion, do you understand this simple division between fact and opinion???

- lastly, fuck off shithead. ten years ago pricks like you couldn't post whatever diarrehea fell out of their brains at the click of a button, if you actually bother doing some work before criticising something it tends to carry more weight and large companies wouldn't be able to oppress your precious freedom of shitetalking so easily. how are your human rights feeling today?

yes, what jane said.

the typically uninformed responses prove my point quite nicely. since pricks like code ninja obviously don't give a fuck or even understand reality as it exists away from their computers, i'll limit this to a quick summary of what i can actually back up, in the real world.

- firstly that if you automatically assume that everything posted on boards.ie was true accounts of what went on, i have some majick beans you might be interested in purchasing. there were libellous comments that have not been backed up by any witnesses that i have interviewed on record.

- secondly that there were serious allegations made and that these have been, and will be reported in a manner that doesn't leave pete liable for their publication

- thirdly that like it or not if you slag off a major company you are damaging their reputation and they will take measures to publicly demonstrate that you are lying about them. if you aren't lying about them you have to back it up. that's not a statement of opinion, do you understand this simple division between fact and opinion???

- lastly, fuck off shithead. ten years ago pricks like you couldn't post whatever diarrehea fell out of their brains at the click of a button, if you actually bother doing some work before criticising something it tends to carry more weight and large companies wouldn't be able to oppress your precious freedom of shitetalking so easily. how are your human rights feeling today?

Mostly bullshit.

It isn't high minded types like you who win important freedoms of speech

It is people like that unseemly man L Flint who do it by saying things like Gerry Falwell fucked his own mother.

When Flint and Hustler were in court the like of the NY Times and the Washington Post sent him message of support for winning for them the freedoms they were unable to themselves.

Mammy and Daddy stop fighting!!!

1isra.jpg

Hag, you live in a dreamworld. This is not a movie. The good guys will not always win. Once you get that into your head you might realise that you're acting like an idiot.

Mostly bullshit.

It isn't high minded types like you who win important freedoms of speech

It is people like that unseemly man L Flint who do it by saying things like Gerry Falwell fucked his own mother.

When Flint and Hustler were in court the like of the NY Times and the Washington Post sent him message of support for winning for them the freedoms they were unable to themselves.

But the difference is that Pete is not Larry Flynt (are you, Pete?). If that's what Pete wanted to do, then fair enough. But he doesn't. And just because that worked in Larry Flynt's case doesn't mean that it is the appropriate action to take in this case. If you want to make kiddyfiddling remarks as a form of political action, then you are welcome to, but on your own website. But there's also the fact that US law is not the same as the extremely strict Irish libel laws. Even if the laws weren't vastly different, the cases simply are not the same thing. It's not a magazine publisher defending publishing images of blowjobs to the religious right.

Once again, there is a huge and varied range of options -- it's not a choice between 'say it on thumped' or 'don't say it at all'. People seem to confuse 'free speech' with 'not being allowed to say things in a particular context' or 'not taking responsibility for what they say'. This, in fact, *is* a free speech issue, but just because Pete doesn't want to end up in court doesn't mean that *he* is restricting your rights, or stopping you from challenging the people who are actually the problem.

Hag, you live in a dreamworld. This is not a movie. The good guys will not always win. Once you get that into your head you might realise that you're acting like an idiot.

Me?

I'm not Hag. The coordinates on the location are for Limerick, I constantly refer to Limerick, I'm not Hag.

noble sentiments indeed, but i'm not sure where calling someone a kiddy fiddler (alleged or otherwise) fits into that. hence the deletion.

well at least it was funny.... and when I say funny I of course mean not funny at all...

if you got to Oxegen.ie there's a press reease from MCD, interesting stuff... though why they didn't post this in first place and instead got their lawyers to bring the pain, lord knows...

questions:
1 - do boards not have a disclaimer freeing them from any liability of what people post on their site?
2 - would boards decision to delete the posts / stop any further mention of mcd be considered an adequate enough response?

anyway, yer all talking in certainties...this interent shit is a big grey area, no? examples of cases in ireland...?

yes, what jane said.

Haha, that showed me! I'm going to follow your sage advice and do some work before criticising something in future.

Secondly - I'd love to buy some majick beans off you.

Thirdly - my human rights are feeling OK today.

Fourthly - Great post! You seem like a fun guy.

well at least it was funny.... and when I say funny I of course mean not funny at all...

if you got to Oxegen.ie there's a press reease from MCD, interesting stuff... though why they didn't post this in first place and instead got their lawyers to bring the pain, lord knows...
They must be experiencing some serious shit if the front page of their most-visited site is a sour defence of their shitty festival. That (and the lawyerly antics) means they're feeling vulnerable. The old adage stands - don't believe something until it's been officially denied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back