mastering (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 0
actually a trend in compressing and over compressing will lead to a society where only those highly technically skilled in the art of compressing will be able to do it at all and everything that isn't compressed will sound shite, but everything else will be overcompressed and nobody here will like it therefore we have to re-establish a social connection with the compression technicalists and create some sort of social bond so that we can trust their compression skills again.

but we have to be careful to keep an eye on them in the future.

Originally posted by Keeror
What do the radio stations have to say about that?
Surely they don't want their listeners and DJs getting blasted out of it by some unexpectedly loud track?

Practically all radio stations limit and compress everything as they broadcast it anyway so it makes no difference to them

Tough Questions, Cheap Answers

All FM stations have to compress stuff they transmit for a particular technical reason i.e. the frequency range transmittable over FM is quite a bit narrower than the range audible by the human ear, especially around the lower frequencies.

And, in case you ever asked this question, this also explains why most FM radio treats its listeners as if they were sub-human.

Originally posted by egg_

Practically all radio stations limit and compress everything as they broadcast it anyway so it makes no difference to them

Re: (Feels isolated, says his brother stole his father's wife.)

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
I've just realised nobody's reading this thread any more.

(Exeunt, head lowered.)

mmmExeunt ....

Strongly recommend the 'mastering edition' from steinberg. very usefully multiband compressor, loudness maximiser and other stuff... that and the waves bundle and you are sorted.

as for mastering stuff at home - there is a fine line between making it sound ace and making sound like shit... even when you know what you are at. unless you really know what you are doing i wouldn't recommend it.

best mastering ears in the country - Aidan Foley - Masterlabs. great engineer aswell.

one thing about mastering (think somebody said this earlier) - it takes WAY longer than you think/budget. Always tell the engineer how much your budget is beforehand.

I HATE the way music broadcast on 2fm sounds all "shiney"

Dont quite know what my point is here, but two of our songs have been put out on two compilations... Hollerin' off the mango music compilation and the last few days... on the rockets are heavy comp...
I much prefered Hollerin' before it was mastered, but Alan O Boyle mastered The Last few days... and emencly improved it...

So I dunno... To master or not to master, that is the question...

(or just normalise everything on pro tools? 'spose)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back