Mastering Madness 2 - The IRISH dimension (2 Viewers)

I actually know who all of these bands are (Pete I can tell you how i found out if you like - you left a giveaway clue).

I know that two of the recordings referred to are mine and I have no problem whatsoever with it. I know my album wasn't well recorded (it was done at home by me) but I'd be interested to know pete if the problems you spotted were because of bad recording or mastering? (I'd like to know if I should the same guy to do mastering again.)

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I actually know who all of these bands are (Pete I can tell you how i found out if you like - you left a giveaway clue).

I know that two of the recordings referred to are mine and I have no problem whatsoever with it. I know my album wasn't well recorded (it was done at home by me) but I'd be interested to know pete if the problems you spotted were because of bad recording or mastering? (I'd like to know if I should the same guy to do mastering again.)

Ro yr record sounds exactly like what it is, as really deadly sounding home recorded lo-fi pop album... wave form or no wave form

would you have had concerns about the mastering before you'd seen the wave form?

Pantone247 said:
Ro yr record sounds exactly like what it is, as really deadly sounding home recorded lo-fi pop album... wave form or no wave form

would you have had concerns about the mastering before you'd seen the wave form?

Thanks bro.

I had no concerns about the mastering, because i would have put any glitches (glaring errors) down to my poor recording knowledge. I was just wondering if the mastering was in some way at fault too (obviously to a lesser degree). I'll be recording stuff next year and would consider using someone different if 'people in the know' advised me that I could do better in terms of mastering. Grrrrrr has already recommended someone to me; in fact it's someone I had recommended to me before, so I'm considering using him for the Tom Dunning single.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Thanks bro.

I had no concerns about the mastering, because i would have put any glitches (glaring errors) down to my poor recording knowledge. I was just wondering if the mastering was in some way at fault too (obviously to a lesser degree).

I think when folks talk about the mastering wars in terms of major label releases we're talking about record companies forcing bands, producers, whoever to create ultra dense masters that blast thru car speakers over the engine noise, over the din of photocopiers on office stereos, leap out when yr i-pods on shuffle, etc, etc, etc

when you talk about us, people using conusmer level equipment to the best of their limited knowledge, just trying to make something that sounds listenable (sometimes... sometimes we go for the unlistenable) all the mastering engineer is doing is trying to put a decent level to disc, probably at reasonable cost to the client, and if it sounds better then it did before I think they've done pretty much what we asked of them

All the audio problems with Ro's album are from the recording not the mastering. It is quite poorly recorded. But that doesn't mean it's not brill.

GrRrrrR said:
There's some pretty crazy volume on the MDR stuff. I doubt he ran it through a mash limiter. Who could have done that?

I didn't put it through a mash limiter - in fact, I don't even know what that is.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I didn't put it through a mash limiter - in fact, I don't even know what that is.

then how did you know if you didn't?

This is all very suscpicious...

columbo10.jpg

GrRrrrR said:
Yeah, I reckon this whole thing is Ro's fault.
What were you thinking mastering Californication like that, Ro? Come on, man.

I heard that when Anthony Keidis sent him an advance copy, as he does with all the RHCP albums to get Ro's 'blessing' as he puts it... Ro bragged to him, telling him how his new, ultra limited, record (Senor My Friend) was the most intense thing he's ever heard and was going to make every "wussy boy frat rock record" sound like "faggy ass fraggle folk music"

Keidis, visably traumatised, demanded the record be re-mastered to demented levels to give the record some hope of competing against Senor Your Friend....

the rest, as you know, is history...

Pantone247 said:
I heard that when Anthony Keidis sent him an advance copy, as he does with all the RHCP albums to get Ro's 'blessing' as he puts it... Ro bragged to him, telling him how his new, ultra limited, record (Senor My Friend) was the most intense thing he's ever heard and was going to make every "wussy boy frat rock record" sound like "faggy ass fraggle folk music"

Keidis, visably traumatised, demanded the record be re-mastered to demented levels to give the record some hope of competing against Senor Your Friend....

the rest, as you know, is history...

:p

Ivytheterrible said:
wow.... this thread is bound to make *alot* of people feel very paranoid:eek: ...

lest the mastering police take them away in a dawn raid?

what would the neighbours think....

"Well when it started he was just dabbling a little in soft limiting, y'know just to see what it was like, hanging out with them awaful RHCP boys, then the next thing we knew.... "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back