massive price rise for buckfast? (3 Viewers)

I really don't think a 30% tax on Buckie is gonna solve the problem of underage drinking in Ireland.

Dont think its meant to, kids like alcypops these days everyone knows that, not a drop of pernod and dry cider to be seen in the fields these days...

Dont think its meant to, kids like alcypops these days everyone knows that, not a drop of pernod and dry cider to be seen in the fields these days...

Monday November 20th 2006
THE DEPARTMENT of Finance is considering imposing a tax on popular student drink Buckfast.
The fortified wine, which has been linked with anti-social behaviour due to its high alcohol content, could be hit with a 30pc tax increase in next month's Budget in an effort to curb its use among teenage drinkers.
The move comes after a Galway politician said housing estates and the historic Spanish Arch in the city were plagued with under-age drinkers guzzling the medicinal wine.
Critics claim the drink, which has a 14.8pc alcohol content, is like drinking "liquid speed" that sends drinkers "wild".
"Buckie", as it is often called, is synonymous with college students who claim that "Buckfast gets you f..ked fast."
It currently retails at about €8.69 a bottle in most off-licences, is extremely popular in the west of Ireland and is available on tap in Lurgan, Co Armagh.
"The primary difference between Buckfast and other drinks is you can buy it in a corner shop which only has a wine licence," Fianna Fail councillor Michael Crowe said yesterday.
"I believe Buckfast should be considered for some form of a tax. It was once seen as a medicinal drink, but times have changed. The reality is it's bought by and for underage drinkers and it's associated with anti-social behaviour."
The Irish Independent can confirm that officials at the Department of Finance are considering the imposition of a tax on Buckfast, but the Department would not comment yesterday.
This is not the first time that Buckfast - which is made by Benedictine monks at Buckfast Abbey, Devon - has hit the headlines.
Scottish Health Minister Andy Kerr last month condemned the drink as "seriously bad" in relation to social behaviour.
Paul Melia

© Irish Independent

I got the impression it was by the way the tax was mentioned as an effort to curb it's use among teenager drinkers.

Didnt even read the link at the start of the thread til now, just started postin me views on buckfast your too conventional these days...

Fair enough I'd been on the other thread anyway, so I had a bit of an advantage.

Anyway Buckfast .|..| tax:mad:

Ahh yes, Nobleman Pale Cream, stuffs fucking mouldy, mix it with some ribena though and yer laughing.

Why the fuck are the government blaming one drink for underage drinking/rise in violence? They cant control their own laws and now they expect us to pay for it.

Fucking.
Tards.

well the average teen gets about 10euro+ pocket money a week so blowing most of it on a bottle of buckie is pretty occasional anyway. it's like banning champagne or something

well the average teen gets about 10euro+ pocket money a week so blowing most of it on a bottle of buckie is pretty occasional anyway. it's like banning champagne or something
kids these days can't afford buckfast cos they blow their pocket money on coke and jonnies. or morning-after pills.

ahhhhh fuck fuck fuck fucking cuntzzzzzz. this is it, i'm not taking this shit anymore i've never heard anything so ridiculous...... and half of you cunts don't even care
FUCK YOU ALL
FUCK THIS ISLAND
YOU BASTARDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back