Maryanne Amacher RIP (1 Viewer)

ddmurph

281250054_d5010d1fd4.jpg

her set at instal 2006 will always stand as one of the most amazing sound experiences of my life ... was pretty shook to hear that she died yesterday

"When played at the right sound level, which is quite high and exciting, the tones in this music will cause your ears to act as neurophonic instruments that emit sounds that will seem to be issuing directly from your head ... (my audiences) discover they are producing a tonal dimension of the music which interacts melodically, rhythmically, and spatially with the tones in the room. Tones 'dance' in the immediate space of their body, around them like a sonic wrap, cascade inside ears, and out to space in front of their eyes ... Do not be alarmed! Your ears are not behaving strange or being damaged! ... these virtual tones are a natural and very real physical aspect of auditory perception, similar to the fusing of two images resulting in a third three dimensional image in binocular perception ... I want to release this music which is produced by the listener ..."
Dr. Eliot Handelman: When I hear your music, sounds are streaming out of my head. What's going on?

Maryanne Amacher: Our ears act as instruments in responding to music, sounding their own tones in addition to the music in the room, like another instrument joining the orchestra. Neuroanatomy responds and gives shape to the most subtle traces of acoustic information. We hear tones other than the given acoustic toes taking their shape inside our ears, as the membrane vibrates in response to the given acoustic tones.

In music as we know it, such tone responses have been repressed. They have a subliminal existence, suppressed within the complex timbres of music. We're not aware that they exist, or that we're actually creating them as listeners. The experience of our own processing isn't available to us. I want to release this music, bring it out of subliminal existence. I want to make a music that is directed past the processing and control of acoustic information, and foes into the network of the nervous system to what we do with this information perceptually.
full interview here: http://www.colba.net/~eliot/amacher.htm

wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryanne_Amacher

short kyle gann obituary: http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2009/10/maryanne_amacher_1943-2009.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back