Marva Whitney & Osaka Monaurail, Halloween Special (1 Viewer)

DanChoiceCuts

dde09d391b.jpg

Choice Cuts present:

MARVA WHITNEY
& OSAKA MONAURAIL
Pari, A2DF, DJ Scope, OB, JB the Deejay, Handsome Paddy and more

JAMES BROWN'S SOUL SISTER NO.1 AND TEN PIECE FUNK BAND IN HALLOWE'EN BALL EXTRAVAGANZA

Andrew's LaneTheatre, Andrew's Lane, Dublin 2
Friday October 31st, 8pm til late

Marva Whitney is fondly remembered by funk devotees as one of the 'rawest, brassiest, most powerful divas' the music ever produced. Along with fellow funk belters Lyn Collins and Vicki Anderson, Whitney made her name singing with the James Brown Revue and her limited, much-sampled recordings for Brown-associated labels now fetch astronomical sums on the collector's market. In the late 60s, she was able to make a name for herself with powerful songs like 'I'm Tired, I'm Tired, I'm Tired (Things Better Change Before Its Too Late)' and 'If You Don't Work (You Can't Eat)'. Her recording of 'It's My Thing (You Can't Tell Me Who to Sock It To)' reached the R&B Top 20. Watch her performance of 'Things Got To Get Better' here. 'Unwind Yourself' has been sampled numerous times, most famously by Mark The 45 King and by DJ Kool in his 1996 hit 'Let Me Clear My Throat'. In 2004, Marva?s career gained new impetus when she joined forces with DJ Pari and the Hanover-based Soulpower organisation. Recent high voltage performances in England, Germany, France, Sweden and Finland, attest that Marva is enjoying a new lease of life on the road and her sensational performances at the Village and the Sugar Club in April and November 2007 more than confirmed that the 'First Lady of Funk', 'Marvellous Marva', 'Miss Excitement' is still the voice of funk. Have a listen to her funk classics here.

Osaka Monaurail celebrated their 15th anniversary last year, but the wheels are very much still turning for the funkiest band that Japan has to offer. After so many years in action the aim of the group still remains the same; that is 'to play just - plain ? funk'. Leader Nakata often says in interviews 'we've been working very hard for 15 years only to find a way to play funk music.' Formed in 1992, they were named after the 1975 funk classic, 'It's The JBs Monaurail' by the J.B.'s. By 1998 they were the opening act for the JBs themselves and in summer 2006 Osaka Monaurail toured 6 cities as backing band for Marva Whitney. The chemistry between Osaka Monaurail and Ms Whitney was far better than just good, and all the venues were packed out up and down Japan. During this tour, Ms Whitney and Osaka Monaurail went into studios to finish her first solo album in 36 years. This album came out in 2007 as I Am What I Am. This proved to be a collaborative bomb which blew minds in the funk world, containing such new tunes as 'I Am What I Am' and 'Soulsisters Of The World', a self-cover of the original 1967 single, 'Saving My Love For My Baby'. She also recorded her own version of 'Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose' by Mr. James Brown himself and Osaka Monaurail also did two instrumental tracks for the album: 'It's Her Thing' and 'We Sing Soul'. Check it out here.

It's an honour for us to bring Marva back to Ireland for the third time; a living legend only matched by such soul divas as Aretha Franklin, Vicki Anderson and Lyn Collins, without her there would be no Joss Stone, no Amy Winehouse, no Duffy! Even better is having her back with Osaka Monaurail, one of the tightest, most stylish, most energetic funk bands on the planet, bringing their own unique Japanese brand of funk with them. There will also be music before and after from a host of great djs including Pari, A2DF, OB, JB the Deejay, Handsome Paddy and DJ Scope, all playing funk and soul 45s, obscurities and rarities. With this amazing show in store, you've got to put on your fancy dress gear and come and join us for our funky Hallowe'en party at Andrew's Lane ? we'll even be giving out spot prizes for the best dressed! Admission ?22

For a spot on the guest list plus one to see this fantastic funk performance, just answer this question:

What is Marva Whitney's birth name?

Winners will be selected at random.
Send your answers to [email protected] wins!

TICKETS:
www.tickets.ie
www.ticketmaster.ie
Village WAV Box Office 1890 200 078

FOR MORE DETAILS:
Sugar Club photos
Village photos
http://www.myspace.com/marvawhitney
http://www.myspace.com/osakamonaurail
www.choicecuts.ie

or:

Caoimhe Goggins
Choice Cuts
01 6619552

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back