MARK EITZEL (American Music Club), The Village, November 11th (1 Viewer)

whelanslive

MARK EITZEL
Accompanied by Marc Capelle of American Music Club

+ guest - NIALL COLFER

The Village, Wednesday 11th November, Doors 8pm

Tickets for the event are €20 including booking fee available from Tickets.ie, WAV box office [lo-call 1890 200 078] & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

“America’s Greatest Living Lyricist.” – The Guardian

For Mark Eitzel’s new tour he will be performing special piano shows across Europe including a date in The Village on November 11th. He will be accompanied by American Music Clubs arranger and keyboardist Marc Capelle and will be showcasing songs from his new album "Klamath" which will be released in Ireland on November 6th.

Mark will also be performing American Music Club songs alongside his solo tracks.

‘Klamath’ (décor records) is the album that a lot of people have been asking Mark Eitzel to make for a very long time, just Mark’s amazing voice, an acoustic guitar and minimal instrumentation.
After a full year of touring Mark came back to San Francisco exhausted and called on some friends for an escape. They were living in Happy Camp, California - by the Klamath river, a small cabin in the middle of the woods and way off the grid in Northern California. Mark says about writing the album:

“I wandered around for a couple of weeks in this untouched forest and decided I would make a record that included the stillness - the vicious beauty - I heard there. I had not felt this way for a long time. I should have made another American Music Club record for the label - but didn’t hear drums and big electric guitars. Klamath is a simple record. I am a simple man. Or I wanna be. It's the kind of record I would want to listen to.”

The basic tracks were written and recorded in Klamath and finished off in San Francisco in the following three months with Eitzel producing and the likes of Franz Nicolay from the Hold Steady and Marc Capelle from American Music Club and Dave Douglas (who drums with Kelley Stoltz) guesting on the album. The pastoral – laid back, late night sparse feel to the album harkens back to Eitzel’s folk influences of Nick Drake and John Martyn and earlier work with AMC. The only electric guitar featured is in Eitzel’s tribute to local Columbus, Ohio (where Eitzel grew up) new wave hero Ronald Koal. After the instrumental lead in to the album ‘Buried Treasure’ Eitzel puts on his lyrical and melodic best.

‘Klamath’ is Mark’s first proper solo album of new material since 2001’s ‘Invisible Man’ on Matador. Just prior to AMC’s breakup in 1995, Eitzel began his solo career in earnest and since then he has released six albums including “60 Watt Siliver Lining”, “West” with REM’s Peter Buck, “Caught in a Trap...” with members of Sonic Youth and Yo La Tengo and two albums of cover versions. In 2003, American Music Club got back together for one of the most anticipated and amazing reunions in ages. Their 2004 album, “Love Songs for Patriots”, received widespread critical acclaim as well as the follow up “The Golden Age”. In between these albums he released a collection of soundtrack material called ‘Candy Ass’. Eitzel is now working on a new record with Peter Buck, the next AMC album and a musical in London called Marine Parade co-written with Simon Stephens.

Mark Eitzel is the singer and songwriter out of American Music Club. Mark has been making records since 1980. He has a full beard and is bald. Mark is one of the best songwriters in the world, Rolling Stone said this back in 1992 but it is still true. Mark Eitzel is sometimes his own worst enemy so it is fun to get them fighting each other, Mark Eitzel II normally loses out to Alpha Eitzel. Mark has also sung with the Toiling Midgets and with Peter Buck of REM. Mark hates long haul flights and loves writing rants about bad hotels on travel sites, someday we may collect these into a book. Mark Eitzel has released 8 solo albums, 9 albums with American Music Club and many other side projects, tour albums etc. I’m not sure Mark Eitzel is a very good lover, he is defiantly not a very good fighter. Mark Eitzel is currently working on his new solo album, another album with Mr Buck and after that a new American Music Club album. Mark lives in the city of San Francisco in the Mission District…the world’s best burritos come from here. Mark has lived in Ohio, NYC, Southampton and can often be found walking the streets of London. If you see Mark II stop and say hi and he may get you a drink but please don’t hassle Alpha Eitzel, we are not insured here for any public liability.

http://www.americanmusicclub.com

http://markeitzel.blogspot.com
http://www.decorrecords.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back