[Mar 28, 2014] Jaki Liebezeit (CAN) & Burnt Friedman with Drums Off Chaos (Dublin 1) (1 Viewer)

Burgerbarbaby

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
www.facebook.com
1625511_1470460446498795_2136791266_n.jpg

It's nearly all here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1467678116787001/

This is the press release:

No machine can surpass Jaki. Jaki does not have a “humanising” function’. (Irmin Schmidt & Michael Karoli, CAN)

‘People keep saying my drumming is so reduced but there’s nothing minimalist about the way I play, I just leave out the superflous stuff’ (Jaki Liebezeit)

There is no way around it, the contemporary musical landscape would be a very different place without Jaki Liebezeit’s towering rhythmic influence. His work with the incomparable CAN stretched through 4 decades of explosive invention, deep listening and musical research all in the service of some of the most magically insistent grooves ever played. Chet Baker, Brian Eno, Eurythmics, Primal Scream, Depeche Mode and Jah Wobble are a tiny fraction of the people who have added the secret ingredient of his genius. He was among the first wave of European Free Jazz in the 60′s, his evolving repetitions defined the rhythmic character of the Krautrock era, and his investigations into Turkish and North African ethnic rhythms have led to the development of a profound new rhythmic approach with no spare flesh, just a 3d soundspace filled with hypnotic swirling melodic groovy perfection.

He is bringing this unique rhythmic language to Dublin for the first time this century, with Burnt Friedman and Drums Off Chaos.

Friedman has been Liebezeit’s most regular recording collaborator since Can. He is best known for the slick downtempo Nu Dub Players, on his own Nonplace label as well as his ambient jazztronic Flanger project on Ninja Tune. His understanding and engagement with Liebezeit’s rhythmic communications is unique, he speaks the same musical dialect making this the strongest and most consistent of collaborations.

Their Secret Rhythms series of albums remains the best document of this language, of rhythmic space and melodic counterpoint, a rich and strange musical groovescape which continues to surprise and satisfy. Live they play all over Europe to packed and rapturous audiences, but this is their first, unmissable visit to these shores.

The other act on this stellar bill is Drums Off Chaos, Liebezeit’s drum laboratory. Jaki and collaborators have regularly gathered since 1984 to communicate through rhythm. Homemade drums and no roadmap, and the excitement of watching master musicians at work. At once strikingly familiar and utterly new, this band is a major wellspring from which exciting new rhythmic music is being created. Watch and listen as they build complex structures from simple beginnings, and create thunderous beats and crescendos from their never-ending musical conversation.

The Grand Social

35 Lr Liffey St, D1

ph: 01 8740076

www.thegrandsocial.ie

P.S. Hi Thumped! It's been a while...Mark keeps making sneaky little forays onto facebook, so I thought I'd try this.

Howya Pete! Ain't seen you in ages! Yeah, fuck Facebook. I put up a page for the above show, and have been monitoring its progress...the audience it's reaching is SHRINKING. Ugh. Since I've been using the page as a base of operations for the show I have to keep using it. But theatre folk I've discussed this with recently are pretty much unanimously of the opinion that while it's necessary to have a Facebook presence for an event, there's almost no return. I even did a sponsored post...it's like the fucking three-card trick. "Look how easy it is! Bet on the lady! Only €5! Woops! Wrong!"

Hi again,
A quick reminder about Jaki / Burnt / Drums Off Chaos...it's TOMORROW! If you are interested in going but short on funds, there are two competitions for tickets for the show:
LE COOL - DUBLIN
and
http://nialler9.com/the-nialler9-dublin ... 25th-31st/

Come early to see Drums Off Chaos, seriously! There's also a Factory records night afterwards.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back