Mad Men Season 7 - EXPECT SPOILERS (1 Viewer)

Huh?
The Dawn/Shirley joke is great.

Should have been clearer, the joke is fantastic, subtle commentary, but I was reading other discussions and viewers mixed up the two characters, even though Dawn has been in the series for a few years and has a different hairstyle, and way of talking to Shirley, plus apart from being black, they don't look much alike.

A bit surprised that a not insignificant chunk of the audience couldn't tell Dawn and Shirley apart.
Is the joke not that their co-workers see them as "the black ones" and therefore their identities are interchangeable ? i.e a gag about race and identity in the 1960s rather than a fourth wall gag implicating the audience ?

Anyway i didn't notice it until my girlfriend pointed it out so I'm either terrible with names or a racist.

I get the joke. I was commenting on the fact that viewers (not the fictional coworkers they were mocking by doing the name switcheroo) couldn't tell them apart either.

I get the joke. I was commenting on the fact that viewers (not the fictional coworkers they were mocking by doing the name switcheroo) couldn't tell them apart either.
Which viewers are these ? To be fair Peggy's secretary Shirley (? I really am terrible with names) is only in it a few times whereas Dawn has been a fixture for a while.

Is the joke not that their co-workers see them as "the black ones" and therefore their identities are interchangeable ? i.e a gag about race and identity in the 1960s rather than a fourth wall gag implicating the audience ?

Anyway i didn't notice it until my girlfriend pointed it out so I'm either terrible with names or a racist.

Yes, it's not a joke involving the audience. It's showing two co-workers dealing with they-all-look-the-same-to-me treatment with a bit of humour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back