Love Irish Food (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
The sister shops in Aldi and told me recently that she buys UK milk :eek:

Times are hard and she has kids and all, but if just one third of households in Ireland (that’s 400,000) spent an average of €1.67 more on an Irish item each week for a year, we would generate €35 million for the Irish economy :):):)

The figures are hard to argue with! But I'm easier, so here's the link

http://www.loveirishfood.ie/

But does "patriotic" buying work really? I mean if other countries start doing that it would be presumably to the detriment of Irish products and produce.

i dunno scienceman, but i've a few shops in town i make a point of going to cos i'd rather they were still there in a few years.

But do these shops provide a better service than their "non-Irish" competitors? If they don't, your loyalty and that of a few others won't make a huge difference. I really don't know the economics of it. In the short term it makes sense to source as many of our goods at home but a globalised economic system means self-sufficiency isn't possible. Do you pick an inferior irish product over a better foreign one etc? To be fair with regard to Irish food some things are as good as you can get.

But does "patriotic" buying work really? I mean if other countries start doing that it would be presumably to the detriment of Irish products and produce.

That's a fair point, but we won't tell them ;)

but even if it just comes to buying standard products.. Tayto instead of Walkers, Goodfellas Pizza instead of Dr Oetker (!) etc.

For example, to me at least, Tayto is superior to Walkers, but Dr. Oetker is better than Goodfellas. Goodfellas used to be nice but now its nearly inedible in most ranges. Should I eat a pizza I don't like because it's Irish?

For example, to me at least, Tayto is superior to Walkers, but Dr. Oetker is better than Goodfellas. Goodfellas used to be nice but now its nearly inedible in most ranges. Should I eat a pizza I don't like because it's Irish?

Well no, of course not. I'm really saying, have a look at the packaging to see where the product is made, and if you have no real preference for one over the other, and the price range is similar, go for the Irish!

But do these shops provide a better service than their "non-Irish" competitors? If they don't, your loyalty and that of a few others won't make a huge difference. I really don't know the economics of it. In the short term it makes sense to source as many of our goods at home but a globalised economic system means self-sufficiency isn't possible. Do you pick an inferior irish product over a better foreign one etc? To be fair with regard to Irish food some things are as good as you can get.

they do in the sense that they loan my alco mate money to get food approaching dole day, they sell cakes made by a woman up the road off a tray on top of the freezer. the butchers has great service and good meat. donegal milk is too nice not to buy. i think with some stuff, the grass our cows eat effects how they taste (sorry veggies) so eating irish meat is going to psychologically seem like 'proper' meat to me.
i suppose I'm willing to pay for idiosyncrasies.

Ingredients
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped
2 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
4 c water
2 cubes (vegetarian) chicken stock/boullion
Pepper to taste
Salt if desired
Water as necessary

Directions
Melt margarine in large pot, add onions.
Cook onions on low for up to 25 minutes, covered. You're attempting translucency here so 5 minutes will work, but the superior taste is in the time.
Add water, carrots and stock cubes. Boil until carrots are soft.
Remove from heat and puree. Add water as necessary to obtain desired consistency.
Add (salt) and pepper to taste.
Experiment with plenty of pepper!
Enjoy

lidl or aldi (i never know which one i'm in) had 2lb bags (1 KG) of irish carrots for 50c this week.

i halved everything in this and got about 2 1/2 good bowls out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back