Lilys live at Whelans & The Thrills (Dj Set) (1 Viewer)

heltershelter

Helter Shelter Live in association with Rainbow quartz presents

LILYS

Live @ Whelans Sunday June 13th
Doors 8pm - late Admission ?10.00

Special DJ Set THE THRILLS

Support by Mainline & Soft Focus

In 1997, the single "A Nanny in Manhattan " was running across the UK, Ireland and Europe in a Levis ad and the band was playing the Top of the Pops. This would mark the first time in 20 years that a band had played completely live on the program.

THE 3-WAY was released in 1999, and so begun the navigations into cultural cosmology that would result in The Lilys. The move to Philadelphia brought about a more tepid existence in the realm of Kurt Heasley. The balancing act of creating art and feeding and raising a family, opened doors previously uncharted and, in a certain sense avoided. A follow up to THE 3 WAY was in the works, but had not yet found proper footing or evocation.

After various sessions and musicians, Kurt carved out a team of old friends and confidants and furiously hit the studio in the winter 2003. Guided by producer Mike Mussmano, every force evolves a form and the power was strong. What resulted is a stunning and remarkably valid collection of love songs, family jams and humbled anthems. Fatherhood has summoned a political consciousness, an inner voice manifested in compositions offering diatribe and resolution on black marketed culture and the misgivings of family image and function.

The blaze and burn of Heasley's songwriting is as strong as ever. He keeps a captain's log of his pursuit of adult erotic adventure right next to the tenderness of friendship and forgiveness so painstakingly arrived at and declaimed on this collection of songs.

The Lilys is a majestic and complex psychedelic guitar pop extravaganza that expands the Lilys' palate with the intensity of Scary Monsters era Bowie, the angularity of The Smiths, the melodicism of Beach Boys and the psychedelia of Spiritualized.

With a focus on sonic sound explorations and a fixation on quality song-craft, the ever shape shifting Lilys have found an identity that’s distinctly 21st century, and the sound of the Lilys.

“Lead off single, Precollection, shimmers with guitar jangle and blends vintage My Bloody Valentine and the Smiths, with a nod to 80’s American college indie rock”. Rolling Stone (USA)

“Will My Lord Be Gardening” (from The Lilys) is one of the top 10 songs of the year”. NME

"Will My Lord Be Gardening" and the galloping and impossibly brilliant "Squares" make (The Lilys) an absolute gem. . . .” The New York Times(USA)

Lilys single “Precollection” is out now and the album “The Lilys” is released May 24th.

Lilys play live in Whelans, Wexford St. on Sunday June 13th.

It was on TV around 97/98 and had these hippy kids running around Monkee style and had a hearse (I think?). Great tune though, rest of that album was pretty bland I thought...

Lilys are pretty good, good to see these guys making it as far as ireland as well as the shins. Now how about Beulah or apples in stereo, neutral milk hotel,olivia tremor control or any of those elephant 6 guys, there all good. they usually make it as far as the garage in london and then fuck off back to america.
Check out beulahs site at www.beulahmania.com for videos, music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back