LIGHTS (twisted nerve/language of stone, NYC) UPSTAIRS @ WHELANS - May 5th (1 Viewer)

Raar - Maximum

Website
www.myspace.com
We are proud to announce the debut live performance of Brooklyn band LIGHTS in Ireland. They are currently touring their eponymous album which was produced by GREG WEEKS (ESPERS) and will be available through TWISTED NERVE records in Europe.

Their album is an intoxicating mix of folk, heady psychedelia and swampy rhythms suffused with gorgeous harmonies throughout. A must see/hear for fans of BLACK MOUNTAIN, ESPERS & SPECK MOUNTAIN.

Also performing on the night will be VALERIE FRANCIS & BMUSIC DJs. An exclusive tour only 7" will also be available to buy featuring the legendary SUSAN CHRISTIE.

MAXIMUM JOY PRESENTS
LIGHTS
(twisted nerve/language of stone records, NYC)
VALERIE FRANCIS
& BMUSIC DJs
UPSTAIRS IN WHELANS
MONDAY 5th MAY
8pm til late
adm €12

www.myspace.com/lightsmakemusic
www.languageofstone.com
www.myspace.com/maximumjoyclub

lights1.jpg

I was only listening to their record for the first time this very evening. It's deadly! Three Mary Margret O'Hara's fronting some odball lo-fi psyche group. To my ears anyway.

yeah album is deadly, looking forward to this.

i know its a monday night but its the bank holiday so should be a nice psychedelic/folk end to the weekend.

and on a side note, does Greg Weeks ever slow down he's involved in a bloody million things.....

SOME REVIEWs OF THE LIGHTS ALBUM

"...Led by bewitching female harmonies from Sophia Knapp and Linnea Vedder, these songs of symbolic wounds and sylvan mysticism suggest a soothing, meditative, Middle Ages psychedelia. The otherworldly vocals are deployed not over lute and crumhorn but across distorted electric guitar and the drum sound of a medieval Mo Tucker. Despite the stylised design and surface vogueishness, the overall effect is distinctive, unselfconscious, and delightful. As Tucker's colleague Lou Reed once asked, "Is this the beginning of a new age?" Maybe it is? The new Dark Ages."
-The Word

"Lights may look like a bunch of New York fashionista chumps fresh from a Vogue board meeting circa 1986 but don't let that put you off. This is a genuinely other-worldly pop music. Take some eerie, archaic female vocal harmonies, graft upon slow jam Velvet Underground minimalist/Neanderthal rhythms, adda sprinkling of spindly, sinewy, liquid guitar goodness and you're arrived in the sophisticated pop utopia Lights reside in. High water mark has to be 'Rise Up', a swoonsome, lovelorn piece of organ driven beauty. Lights are a soft-focus delight indeed."
-Flux

"The eeriness of the sopranic, soporific, swishing, Kate-Bush-ish harmonies of Lights' twin lead vocalists is irresistible in the same way that sailors are drawn to their ecstatic doom onto the rocks by the sirens. This is the dissolute tonic that stretches at the corners of consciousness halfway between dream and destiny."
-Plan B

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=91138

i'm really sorry and disappointed to announce that the gig is CANCELLED!!

just got word, trouble with the bands flight so they're a no show, out of our hands i'm afraid.
hopefully we can reschedule for something in the future!!

cheers
Mici

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back