Lighthouse cinema to reopen (2 Viewers)

krystal

Since 2000
dunno if this is old news, but it's new news to me.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Light House Cinema To Reopen In Smithfield [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]06-Dec-06[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
lighthouse-f.jpg

Light House Cinema, a new four-screen, 600-seat arthouse cinema has been announced for Smithfield Market. Operated by the same team that ran Dublin’s original Light House Cinema in Middle Abbey Street, the cinema is scheduled to open late 2007.
Designed by award-winning architects Derek Tynan Associates, the new Light House Cinema promises a programme of the best Irish, independent, foreign-language, arthouse and classic cinema, the Light House team of Neil Connolly and Maretta Dillon expects to attract over 200,000 admissions per year to the new venue at Smithfield. The cinema will be custom-built with investment from developers Fusano Properties Ltd and grants from the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism and the Cultural Cinema Consortium - a joint initiative of the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board. Neil Connolly, on behalf of Light House Cinema says, “Light House at Smithfield promises to be the most comfortable and stylish cinema in Dublin. We plan to build on the tradition established by the original Light House and we are looking forward to welcoming back our loyal audience and to the challenge of building new audiences for world cinema.”

[/FONT]

nice to see a bit of competition for IFI.

arthouse film in multiplex ugc just doesnt have the same chin stroking appeal to it as a small musty venue frequented by film buffs, wannabe directors and old people with malformed limbs and their lives packed in shopping bags.

I v happy. It's a struggle for me to bother walking to cineworld, all 5 mins down the road. so I should just about be able to manage falling out my front door and into this one.

this is deadly.

p.s. i heard the usual 'the IFI is really struggling' rumour again recently - is this true?

Fcukin' deadly!

Rep house? Yeah?

Classic double bills?

Realistically, I don't think there's the audience for it.

It'll be me and one or two aul' fellas at each show.

Good good though!

This is great news! The Light House was a terrific cinema - much like the Cinema I dream of owning some day (in my er, dreams) - late night shows, classic double bills, carrot cake and coffee. Fab news.

This is great news! The Light House was a terrific cinema - much like the Cinema I dream of owning some day (in my er, dreams) - late night shows, classic double bills, carrot cake and coffee. Fab news.

hmmm
I'd love to own a cinema too and put on double bills such as

Cockfighter and Two Lane Blacktop
El Topo and The Holy Mountain
Hitch-hike and House On The Edge Of The Park
Simon Of The Desert and The Exterminating Angel
Repo Man and Suburbia

This is good news but wasn't part of the charm of the Lighthouse that it was a sort of family run thing in a closed down old comfy yet breezy cinema (the curzon). Let's just hope then new one isn't some concrete and glass affair with A4 bits of paper sellotaped to the windows.

It's being built in the car park I use in Smithfield at the moment. Looks like it will have two screens side by side of the same size.

Well I presume it's what they are building, unless someone is building another underground cinema in Smithfield

i found this interesting new book at work recently called "A to Z of all old Dublin cinemas" by two ould fellas who were mad about the cinema. there was millions of them in dublin, i had no idea there were so many. theres a page or two for each cinema with pictures, opening dates, what the first and last films to be shown, who owned it and other interesting trivia. i think the stella in rathmines was the last of the old school ones to close down in late 2004. the classic in harolds cross closed down the year before after the doctor told the man who ran it since the 50s that he should close it for his health. afterwards he said that if he could only afford to buy it back he would and he'd reopen it as it was.

hmmm
I'd love to own a cinema too and put on double bills such as

I always loved that Idea. I was a big fan of the Scala when ever i was in London. Do you thing Dublin is big enough to support a project like that.

Even renting the 'IFI' for late nighters would be cool but I can't see them being into it. They did used to run a night club late there at one stage..

i found this interesting new book at work recently called "A to Z of all old Dublin cinemas" by two ould fellas who were mad about the cinema. there was millions of them in dublin, i had no idea there were so many. theres a page or two for each cinema with pictures, opening dates, what the first and last films to be shown, who owned it and other interesting trivia. i think the stella in rathmines was the last of the old school ones to close down in late 2004. the classic in harolds cross closed down the year before after the doctor told the man who ran it since the 50s that he should close it for his health. afterwards he said that if he could only afford to buy it back he would and he'd reopen it as it was.

I remember hearing about that book.
Who are the authors?
Might try and get my local library to get it in.

I remember hearing about that book.
Who are the authors?
Might try and get my local library to get it in.

George Kearns and Patrick Maguire. its about €45 in the ifi bookshop i think, and the isbn is 1906027013

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0419/atoz.html

Publisher: George Kearns and Patrick Maguire

stars_big_5.gif

It is very rare that a book comes along that one believes will become the definitive publication on that subject for years to come. 'A to Z of All Old Dublin Cinemas' is that book.
George Kearns and Patrick Maguire have put together a superb 570 page self-published book that is a treasure trove of memories, not just of cinema, but of Dublin's history over the last 100 years. The authors spent painstakingly months researching their book in libraries around the city and have come up with a remarkable, fascinating and very entertaining read.
The background to the bigger, well-known city centre picture houses of recent times such as the Adelphi, Carlton and Ambassador are religiously detailed along with long-forgotten venues like the Metropole, the Pillar and the Corinthian.
In the good old days, it seemed that many Dublin cinemas regularly changed ownership and names as often as they changed the selection of films on show and the authors have tried their best to join up the dots and tell the story of many cinemas despite this stumbling block. The Inchicore Cinema was known to several generation as 'The Core' but subsequently changed its name to the Europa and then the Pullman Studios.
Other suburban cinemas like the Stella and the Princess in Rathmines, the Kenilworth (later the Classic) in Harold's Cross along with the Sundrive and the original Classic in Terenure are also featured.
The book tells the tale of the church that became a cinema, the cinema that became a church and the cinema that never showed a film.
Reading the 'A to Z of All Old Dublin Cinemas' will transport you back in time to a bygone age never to be repeated. Having read it, you will never again walk the streets of Dublin without noting which convenience store, or fast food restaurant, used to be a cinema where people came from all over Dublin to mix together and be entertained. Magic.
Mark O'Neill-Cummins

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back