Legal shit (1 Viewer)

The Thrills got done for lifting from a Monkees song.
In the '90s Wire sued Elastica for using a riff of theirs and won. The Elastica song was Connection.
Gilbert O'Sullivan Versus Biz Markie was the case that set precedent for sampling. Before there was a wild west attitude to sampling after that people had to pay. The song in question was Alone Again (Naturally) that Biz sampled liberally from in a song of the same name.

In short, if you think your song is gonna be a hit or get radioplay either don't use another person's lyrics or pay for the rights.

As someone said above you can mention the name of any song, in fact you can't copyright the name of a song so you could call all your songs the same as famous songs.

Spiritulized had to cut the line in the end

they do it live, and it was on promo versions

but on the album it's cut

I remember the Beta band thing, I think they took a bath on it, giving Steinman mad crazy royalties, or cutting the line... I was only listening to that song today and I actually can't remember...

BUT I only reaslied the other day that Alison's Starting To Happen off Shame About Ray by Lemonheads has the line

"It's so mesmerising, can't describe it, all that inside stuff"

which is the spoken word 'freaky' bit from Rocks Off on Exile In Mainstreet, by the extremely litigious Rolling Stones... it's pretty cleverly done and broken up over a couple of lines, but is cleary a word for word lift

so to summerise, I have no new information or opinons on this subject, but I know a lot of useless stuff about pop music

My brother bought the album at the time, in one of the "pill" packs. It has the lines

Wise men say, only fools rush, only fools rush in
but I, don't believe, I don't believe I could still fall in love with you

Is that what they changed it to or was it changed from this?

What a freakin great song by the way (the Spiritualized one)

all this and that dirty projectors guy can get away with pulling that black flag shit?!

I can't remember what the credits say regarding the music but the lyrics are all credited to Greg Ginn. I'm pretty sure I read an interview with him where he said he didn't ask for permission, but he did send Greg Ginn a copy of the record.

An what a great record it is!

Also, interestingly, in the backing vocals of Gimme Gimme Gimme the girls in the band sing the lines:

Unemployment at a record high
People come and people go and people born to die

except its in Esperanto.

Again.... probably not strictly legal.

Half the Bad Religion songs that Mr. Brett wrote have Beatles lyrics in them - he's admitted to being a huge fan. I've never heard of them getting in any trouble over it.

I can't remember what the credits say regarding the music but the lyrics are all credited to Greg Ginn. I'm pretty sure I read an interview with him where he said he didn't ask for permission, but he did send Greg Ginn a copy of the record.

An what a great record it is!

Also, interestingly, in the backing vocals of Gimme Gimme Gimme the girls in the band sing the lines:

Unemployment at a record high
People come and people go and people born to die

except its in Esperanto.

Again.... probably not strictly legal.

i was only joking

I read somewhere before that when you do a legal cover version of a song you can do anything you want with the music (including the vocal melody) but you are not allowed touch the lyrics.

Anyone know if this is true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back