Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
www.hopecollectiveireland.com
Sorry Folks - but I just want to bore you with a "press release"

'Document – A Story of Hope'

Book Launch September 27

‘Document – A Story of Hope' is a book about music and a book about food. It features contributions from over 120 people who donated both vegan recipes and their personal recollections of Hope Promotions.

Hope Promotions (later, the Hope Collective) hosted independent gigs for 283 foreign and domestic bands in Ireland between 1987 and 1999. Hope brought bands like Fugazi, Downcast, Gorilla Biscuits, Jawbreaker, Wat Tyler and many more to the attention of Irish audiences as well as providing a crucial platform for hometown talent.

Hope put on the Dublin gigs and encouraged others to do so elsewhere. This allowed people in Belfast, Cork, Arklow, New Ross, Dundalk, Carrickmacross, Letterkenny, Limerick, Antrim, Kill, Kilkenny and Waterford to experience touring bands.

Hope's ethos was to provide good music for the greatest number of people at the lowest price possible and to always remain outside of corporate structures. It pioneered an independent, self-supportive ethos at a time when the ambition of most Irish musicians was to sign to a major-label for the maximum amount of money available..

'Document – A Story of Hope' tells the story of those days. There is a story for nearly every gig and a recipe to go with every story. The recipes are all vegan, the stories are all true.

The book includes contributions from band members, gig organisers and those who attended Hope gigs. They have donated recipes and recollections. To mark the width of its appeal, 'Document – A Story of Hope' will be launched over four separate events.

On Friday 27th September, Savage Banter at Thomas House, Thomas Street, Dublin will feature DJs Lee "King"Casey, Happy "Hag" Alpha Relish, DJ Sleepyhead and Niall. Adm: free

On Saturday 28th September, the Dublin Food Co-Op, in St Andrews Resource Centre, Pease Street will host the book's launch. There will be a talk at 11 a.m. on the publishing of it.

The weekend’s festivities culminate in St Andrews Resource Centre at the Vegetarian Society of Ireland’s festival to mark World Vegetarian Day on Sunday September 29.

On Monday 30th September, the GZ Club at Parnell Mooney, Parnell Street, Dublin will host a live gig featuring Estel,Dinah Brand, Gary Fitzpatrick, Angus, Knifed and special guests djing and playing. Adm:4Euros for gig or 10 for gig and book.

Book is 8 Euros, available at the launches or from Freebird Records, Eden Quay Dublin and Road Records, Fade Street Dublin www.roadrecs.com

More information available from [email protected] www.thumped.com/hope

hey, how come this is IMPORTANT enough for the heads over at the general forum but not IMPORTANT enough for us.
if it wasnt for hope none of us would be here right now.
the gig's gonna rock, and the book's gonna be late, even if we do have to wait an extra day to pick it up.

Originally posted by damien
hey, how come this is IMPORTANT enough for the heads over at the general forum but not IMPORTANT enough for us.

blame weeler. he calls the shots round here

p.s. hup

Folks,
The book is winging its way up from Cork today (wednesday). I'll trya nd get it into the shops tomorrow. If anyone is interested then mail me [email protected]

As for importance and what forum, I've no idea who decides what.

Thanks to all those who supported the events over the weekend.
Niall

the gig rocked.
cant wait for the book.
btw niall, i left my kettle lead with that amp on monday and forgot to take it home. did you or anyone pick it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back