Laptop Q (1 Viewer)

Speed Racer

Website
www.c64.com
Yo Electronic dudes! Does yer laptop make a hissing noise when playing audio really loud. I'm just using an analog lead from the headphone socket (its the only audio output on the thing), what the best way to output audio on a laptop? The soundcard may also be run of the mill. Its a 2 years old Toshiba. Any Advice? Cheers.

Keep on blippin!

forget the built in sound and get a usb auido interface like:

this
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOTRANSIT

or this
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDODUO

Speed Racer said:
Yo Electronic dudes! Does yer laptop make a hissing noise when playing audio really loud. I'm just using an analog lead from the headphone socket (its the only audio output on the thing), what the best way to output audio on a laptop? The soundcard may also be run of the mill. Its a 2 years old Toshiba. Any Advice? Cheers.

Keep on blippin!

FancyGoods, you're linkage is good.

Are these effectively external sound cards? Or are they little pre-amps?

tell me more, I'm stupid with computers

Speed Racer said:

Keep on blippin!
What Lizzie says it's true, a USB card is the way to go. However, I used to get the output out of the headphone socket of my PC to play Morello's backing tracks and it was noiseless

Speed Racer said:
Deadly! Thanks, thats all I needed to know. I owe you a hug or a wink.
if you go to maplin you can get a tiny little usb output (one minijack line out and one digital out) for about 30 europs.

very handy.

what's the difference from just going through the minijack out of the computer?

Shnake said:
most soundcards in laptops aren't shielded and as a result you'll pick up every oul noise from the machinery inside. i recently got a new laptop (better model than the last one) but the soundcard seems to have been positioned directly over the cd drive. as a result, every time you put a cd in, you get an insane vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooom over the line out as the drive reads the cd.

nasty. the usb out completely sorted it though, as it routes the audio away from all the noise.

herv said:
most soundcards in laptops aren't shielded and as a result you'll pick up every oul noise from the machinery inside. i recently got a new laptop (better model than the last one) but the soundcard seems to have been positioned directly over the cd drive. as a result, every time you put a cd in, you get an insane vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooom over the line out as the drive reads the cd.

nasty. the usb out completely sorted it though, as it routes the audio away from all the noise.

that's deadly, because I've been having exactly that problem

herv you rule!

fake speedracer, you suck

yep they are sound cards. plug in and out of usb port when you want to use it.
You can get all sorst of things: preamps, XLR inputs if you want. (USB ports provide power)

very portable. The only complaint people seem to have is higher latency compared to onboard soundcards. Put if your just feeding stuff in and out of it that's not a problem.

Shnake said:
FancyGoods, you're linkage is good.

Are these effectively external sound cards? Or are they little pre-amps?

tell me more, I'm stupid with computers

As in the original post: you might get unwanted noise.Also onboard laptop audio is not always that good. Plus you can get more options with a proper soundcard( diff. samplig rates, different connectors etc)
also you can plug your little portable soundcard into any pc (after windows 95) or mac and it will work. (you might need to install the drivers once though)

Shnake said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back