Kevin Barry - Author Reading, Friday in the Central Library (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Has anyone been reading 'City of Bohane' by Kevin Barry? (not the dead 18 year old who "gave his young life for the cause of liberty" but the short story and travel writer recently published in the New Yorker). I'm nearly finished and reckon its pretty deadly.
"Forty years in the future. The once-great city of Bohane on the west coast of Ireland is on its knees, infested by vice and split along tribal lines. There are the posh parts of town, but it is in the slums and backstreets of Smoketown, the tower blocks of the Northside Rises and the eerie bogs of Big Nothin’ that the city really lives.

For years, the city has been in the cool grip of Logan Hartnett, the dapper godfather of the Hartnett Fancy gang. But there’s trouble in the air. They say his old nemesis is back in town; his trusted henchmen are getting ambitious; and his missus wants him to give it all up ... And then there's his mother."

Its had some excellant reviews and the cover and back blurb are covered with rave reccomendations from writers like Irvine Welsh, Hugo Hamilton and Roddy Doyle. I'm not sure how useful this is for promoting a book though, it'd nearly put me off, or by raising my expectations, would have me feeling let down when I read the actual book.

This Friday the author will be giving a reading in the Central Library, Ilac Centre at one o'clock. Booking advised but you can just show up if it isn't booked out - see here for more details.

GetImage

You can read a review that appeared in the Guardian here, see a preview of the book here and check out an interview with the author over on the Irish Times website.

I'm reading at the moment and loving it! He's a terrific writer. Loved his "There are little kingdoms" too, a fantastic read.

Did anyone go along? I did and really enjoyed it. He read a bit from chapters one and two (great voice for the accents) and talked a little about how he came to write it, the state of the novel, how long form fiction is best done on television these days and then read from a non fiction peice he did in the Observer recently. Very enjoyable. The library will be putting the audio up online in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.

Paul Murray is reading next week from Skippy Dies. I'll put up aother thread on that when I get a chance..

I'm gonna read both of these books and get back to you.

BECAUSE I CAN.

do you sell PDF's?

I only buy books I really want to keep or have to study heavily these days, I threw away about 50% of mine a few months ago. More will go in the next few weeks.

and of course the library is alright even if every bleedin' library assistant would obviously rather kill themselves than break away from their fascinating conversations with each other and check my book out or in.

do you sell PDF's?

I only buy books I really want to keep or have to study heavily these days, I threw away about 50% of mine a few months ago. More will go in the next few weeks.

and of course the library is alright even if every bleedin' library assistant would obviously rather kill themselves than break away from their fascinating conversations with each other and check my book out or in.

If your library card isnt clearly visible in your hand then dont even dream of approaching the issue desk expecting a welcome. roll on 9.30pm, christ.

Did anyone go along? I did and really enjoyed it. He read a bit from chapters one and two (great voice for the accents) and talked a little about how he came to write it, the state of the novel, how long form fiction is best done on television these days and then read from a non fiction peice he did in the Observer recently. Very enjoyable. The library will be putting the audio up online in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.

Paul Murray is reading next week from Skippy Dies. I'll put up aother thread on that when I get a chance..

Pity this was on during lunch-hour (I work out of town), I'd love to see him reading. Was that the article about the house he bought, the former Garda station? That was brilliant. His non-fiction is just as hallucinatory and off-kilter as his fiction! Deadly.

yep, it was the house moving piece. Very entertaining and interesting chap. The audio and a transcript should be up on the Dublin City Public Libraries site soon(ish). Will post links when its up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back