Joe Duffy - Liveline (1 Viewer)

I switched off when the guy couldn't grasp why people are making a political issue about the behaviour of gards.

Last edited:
Wow. The traveller kick off on today's show had a complete morale high-horse moron (Rosa) calling an old guy a 'paternal racist' even though he's really just giving a decent account of travelling lifestyle/culture.

RTÉ - Liveline: Carrickmines Fire
Carrickmines Fire — RTÉ - Liveline — Overcast

Here's the thing. She's right. Pretty much anyway.
The dude was well into saying that travelers haven't a clue about fire safety, seatbelts, are recidivist by nature unlike settleds and so on.
Like everyone here is an expert on fire and road safety and that the animals that attacked that family last year didn't have 200-odd convictions.
But he also seemed like a very nice old man whose family by all accounts have been decent neighbours to traveling people.
This lady came on and right away she's almost speechless with anger about what's been said. "This type of talk is lethal" and so on.

But to what end? What's the point in calling an old man to task on his old-fashioned notions?
So many people have a hair trigger for words and calling other people out on shit on social media and elsewhere that it's making discussions meaningless. We have an almost limitless army of pitchfork-ready people out there parsing every utterance or act for transgression.
They're often technically correct, but the fucking apoplexy out there. Nothing's measured. Everything's full dose. It often gets no one any further to anything.
And it too often misses the point. It's like calling someone a cunt for driving to a conference on global warming. Well done.

The point for me in this case is that people here are dead and no one's accountable.
The first lad on kind of had a point. Kinda. He wanted to know how come we can spend this relocation money on travelers when there's others (presumably more deserving others) that need accommodation too. This is in the same family of argument as we can't have refugees because we have homeless.
The fact is that those families in Carrickmines were living in unsafe conditions on what was supposed to be a temporary site and no one gave a shit.
But the council have all they need to get them new digs when there's dead babies and reporters all over the place and the minister is on the phone.
There's been more written about that fucking Longboat Quay that won't suffer a fire during its natural use than will ever be written about these 10 dead people.
But what we get is a three day news story and an echo chamber of dopes on Liveline making, essentially, no point whatsoever.

Apologies for going all over the place there.

TL;DR It was too long, don't read it

I heard rosa yesterday. She was nuts. Started off with decent points but lost it.
I also heard paddy o Gorman the other day replaying an interview he did on that site a year ago. The residents were giving out about the electrics and the water spilling down on the wires etc. I'm sure the situation is more complex that this but if I was living there id have fixed it myself.

So many people have a hair trigger for words and calling other people out on shit on social media and elsewhere that it's making discussions meaningless. We have an almost limitless army of pitchfork-ready people out there parsing every utterance or act for transgression.
They're often technically correct, but the fucking apoplexy out there. Nothing's measured. Everything's full dose. It often gets no one any further to anything.
And it too often misses the point. It's like calling someone a cunt for driving to a conference on global warming. Well done.

see Trigger Warning thread

Have the travelling community made any/many statements about what happened? What's their take on how and why it happened?

Rosa is a fucking nut job. You'd nearly think she was on the wind up.
That's it - she was a complete troll no matter what you think of her views, as no.7 says above, it's now about going full-on throttle defending your stance. It's exactly why I could care less what any opinion writers in Ireland spew out, it's either extreme positive or negative views on whatever the day's issues without any consideration or balance.

Emma Watson is under fire now for her insensitive white privilege
tell.jpg

I keep reading that the average industrial wage is 38,000

I have failed at life

:(

He had only passed out in the last recruitment round so I'd say it was €396.97/week.

GRA - Listed Pay Scales
That sounds right.

The wife had a job herself, but was basically sick of what her man was bringing home so decided to take it to Joe.
Maternalistic, I call it.

The median is what most people think of when they're thinking of the average industrial wage.

Median earnings are estimated at €28,500 last year for all those at work. So half of those at work – 964,000 people – earned less than €28,500 and half earned more. For full-time workers, median earnings were estimated at €32,000 in gross income. The minimum adult wage of €8.65 an hour, unchanged since 2007, equates to an annual wage of €17,542.

Super rich or super angry: where are you on Ireland’s income pyramid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back