Jim O'Rourke - Simple songs streaming (1 Viewer)

dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
I lasted 90 seconds of that Faith No More stream and I was all like, fuck yew NPR, then I saw a link to this and I was all like, oh hooray NPR.

Anyway, new Jim O'Rourke with singing and that. Sounds great!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
gave it 20 minutes. sounds great alright. textbook jim o rourke plays 4/5 minute song formula. looking forward to listening to it in proper quality. hard to believe its 6 years since the visitor

Listened to the whole thing this morning. Maybe it's a grower but I didn't like it at all aside from one or two nice bit.s

hmmm, it's certainly very rich but takes a while to get going.

What's surprising for me is how much it reminds me of other people and not O'Rourke necessarily.

I find Steely Dan, Plush/Liam Hayes, Archer Prewitt, Randy Newman coming to mind. It's a bit "big rock piano" in places perhaps.

I feel less engaged with the lyrics, which is strange - like the production is overwhelming me.

Some of those are always cornerstones though in the O'Rourke pop-world.

I think the first third limps along wishing it was Randy Newman's big toe but it picks up a bit.

Has to be Glenn Kotche on drums.

Totally. That 70s influence was always there. But it's very pronounced on this record. I'll sit with it but so far it's far too light and schmalzy

I've listened to it about a million times since it started streaming and I officially love it. G'wan the Jim.

That said, it's no Insignificance - but it's still fucking savage. It's definitely a grower. In my own humble opinion of course.

@Nate Champion: I think it's one of his Japanese buddies actually. To my ears it's a very different style. Great playing nevertheless.

Might go and listen to it again, fuckit why not.

@hermie Yep. I remember the first time I heard Aja by Steely Dan. Black Cow came on and I just went, "sounds like Jim!"
Him and Donald Fagen also share a penchant for seriously snarky lyrics too.

@plug right, well spotted.

Insignificance is my favourite too. I think there was someone on here going on about how he wasn't human enough recently?
Try listening to Get a Room - one of the most devastating songs ever. And by a human too.

Sad to say there is no Nic Roeg film called Simple Songs.

Has his Roeg obsession ended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back