JCM 800 Mods (1 Viewer)

PaoloJM

Website
www.youtube.com
The purpose of the mods was for warmer, thicker, meatier sounds with more gain at bedroom volumes. In this vid the MV is set to 4 with the Hot Plate @ -16dB and dialed down to half way.
The vid description gives details of work so far.
I'd be interested if your thoughts, suggestions and/or critisisms.
Regards,
Paul.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lsnwmeWvNg"]YouTube - Paolo Marshall JCM 800 2203 mods[/ame]

Sounds fine.

I use 1 of these

4211.jpg

JCM 800 4211 which is the combo version of the 2210 head. No mods. I use the pre amp overdrive and a clean boast to push it when needed. Thank god for the master volume switch.

So have you actually moded yer head or are you just using a hotplate? (i havent watched the video as ive no sound)

Yeah, I've done a bunch of gain and tone mods as well as fitting the amp out for KT77 output valves. The Hotplate is just to take the volume down a bit for recording as the digital camera clips/compresses fairly hard even a lowish volumes.

Yeah, I've done a bunch of gain and tone mods as well as fitting the amp out for KT77 output valves. The Hotplate is just to take the volume down a bit for recording as the digital camera clips/compresses fairly hard even a lowish volumes.

whats the deal with those KT77 valves? are the more like 6L6s or EL34s?

whats the deal with those KT77 valves? are the more like 6L6s or EL34s?

They're more like an EL34 than a 6L6, but have more low end as opposed the the mid ranch "punch" of an EL34 so it lends itself more to metal sounds, IMO. EL34/6L6 is more the whole brittish/american sound thing, Marshall vs Fender etc.
KT77s seem to get a bad rap for high failure rates. KT77s bias a good bit "hotter" than EL34s so are not a simple drop in replacement, you do need to re-bias the amp properly. I think people just see a web article saying saying they're a direct replacement and put them in, turn the amp on and then give out when a month later the valves fail.
Best way is to hear the difference is to try them out in your amp, but do remember to check the bias or have a tech check and set it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back