Janelle Monae (1 Viewer)

It is!

I usually go on message boards. See what 'the kids' are saying. They are always ebbing and flowing with whatever Pitchfork or whoever is throwing at them. Download the record and see if I like it.
You'll find that about 50% of hyped stuff is shite and the rest is whatever you're having yourself.
It's a poor system, but i can't stand reading professional music reviewers. I always feel like I'm being talked down to by someone I couldn't bear to have a beer with.

Its a fucking minefield isn't it? You're interested in music and want to find some new bands you might like, so you read some blogs and sites, have a listen on various sites, but if you pick the wrong bands you run the risk of being seen as a pipe & slippers music fan or, even worse, a hipster.

In fairness, I don't think people are ever judged on the bands they listen to. I think it's the other way around

For what it's worth I like the Lorde album. I also like the Miley Cyrus album so whatever.

The ethical and organic process by which I have come to like Janelle Monae, by me, the Thumped poster @7 - No tomorrow

Back in a time when people bought records, the sister's boyfriend raved about the old Outkast record - Stankonia - to which I paid him no mind. Then I heard Miss Jackson
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

which I loved.
So when Speakerboxx/The Love Below came out I jumped all over it. Luckily for me it was a stellar record - big beats, deep grooves and all that drinking-at-home-Friday-night-before-you-go-out stuff that everyone likes.
The fact that they thought they were the Beatles for about 5 minutes didn't even phase me.

Then @7 - No tomorrow wept, for there were no more Outkast records.

But, we got the Big Boi record - the Legend of Chico Dusty - a phenomenal record - and all was right with the world.

It sounded like all the bits I loved on Speakerboxx. Tucked in there was a track called be Still (not even close to the best song on the album) that had a young Janelle Monae on it. Interesting, nothing more.

Then, this happened.

No further explanation should be needed.

Oh, the sister's boyfriend is now her husband and they have a kid.

I've always loved this song (well, since i heard it)

I stand by all my previous complaints

oh and Big Boi is great

Since this is the thread where we act dismissively towards "edgy, innovative pop stars that it's okay for indie types to likes" can I just point out that Sky Ferreira is DREADFUL.

For what it's worth I like the Lorde album. I also like the Miley Cyrus album so whatever.

neither of these albums lasted longer than about 2 listens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back