iTunes library management (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Is there such a tool or script that will automatically keep a duplicate of your itunes music folder? Like if you add something to your library it saves it to two folders instead of just the one.
I have my folder backed up alright but I forget and it's a hassle to keep doing so plus it can take hours to copy.

Rsync is your man here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync and your exact circumstance is pondered in the "Practical applications" section of that wiki page. If you don't want to get down and dirty with rsync at the terminal, there's a list of OS X apps that will provide a easy to use GUI.

What you want to do is a one-way sync from your Desktop iTunes library folder to an external volume. If your existing way of doing it is by backing up the entire folder, the transfer times will only get longer the more your iTunes library grows. With rsync you'll only backup the most recently added files everytime you run the rsync command, which is better for the external HD since you're not thrashing it with full replacement backups.

ah.. as expected the Automator route works perfectly when adding files to the source folder. It doesn't work when you delete files or alter files. Must try rsync.

Found a lite-weight interface for RSync.

Go download this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/arrsync/

Configure your source and destination paths. Save it as a preset, give it whatever name you want. This'll remember the settings for when you run it.

Make sure Unidirectional Merge is selected and hit Run. Downside to the app is that you can't schedule backups, you'll have to manually run process.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-18%20at%2020.15.35.png

i found and tried out grsync. Seemed ok but I was getting an error. Probably because my previously set up automator script is still chugging away. I'm syncing from an external HD to another External HD so it is taking a bit longer than one would expect.

update: the automator kept trying to copy the entire 90GB everytime so I ditched that. Found a nice little app called Sync2Folders. Grand and fast. Only downside is that you seem to have to run it manually every so often.

Ever since the introduced the podcast app for the phone syncing podcasts has been shiiiite. Lost count the amount of time I'm about to set off for a journey confident that I have the latest whatever on my phone only to open that crap and see the little cloud icon beside the episode I want to listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back