It's the Sam Cooke thread!! (2 Viewers)

Sam Cooke (and the Soul Stirrers)'s Jesus Give Me Water is inspirational. That and Touch The Hem of His Garment nearly turned this atheist to religion. (I decided to just become devoted to gospel music instead.)

If we're on the soul train, Susan Cadogan rocks. Fell in love with Don't Burn Your Bridges off Orbital's Back To Mine compilation, and my boyfriend very sweetly found a whole album somewhere in the (Amazon) vaults for me for my birthday.

mendozy said:
Sam Cooke (and the Soul Stirrers)'s Jesus Give Me Water is inspirational. That and Touch The Hem of His Garment nearly turned this atheist to religion. (I decided to just become devoted to gospel music instead.)

If we're on the soul train, Susan Cadogan rocks. Fell in love with Don't Burn Your Bridges off Orbital's Back To Mine compilation, and my boyfriend very sweetly found a whole album somewhere in the (Amazon) vaults for me for my birthday.

I like the cut of your jib, sister. The Soul Stirrers songs you mentioned are wonderful- their song "Jesus, I'll Never Forget" is another gem. If you haven't already, you ought to look into the Swan Silvertones for some old time religion and lovely vocal stylings. I haven't heard Susan Cadogan before, but I will be investigating.

Zeelander said:
I like the cut of your jib, sister. The Soul Stirrers songs you mentioned are wonderful- their song "Jesus, I'll Never Forget" is another gem. If you haven't already, you ought to look into the Swan Silvertones for some old time religion and lovely vocal stylings. I haven't heard Susan Cadogan before, but I will be investigating.

Cool, thanks for the recommendations.

Just in case I wasn't clear, Susan Cadogan is straight soul, not gospel soul (although I'm sure there are a few in her back catalogue, as it's how most of them start off).

Lefty Frizzell said:
i can only remember hearin her once or twice. wasnt she on a reggae vibe no?

I'll let you know when I listen to the rest of the album, yeah, now that I think about it, the Bridges one is quite reggae-ish, but I think she's from a soul background. No doubt someone on here will know more...

mendozy said:
I'll let you know when I listen to the rest of the album, yeah, now that I think about it, the Bridges one is quite reggae-ish, but I think she's from a soul background. No doubt someone on here will know more...

I remember her name bein mentioned a good few times in that book rude boy. I think she was jamacian. look forward to hearin some of her stuff.

"Born Alison Anne Cadogan on November 2, 1951, in Kingston, Jamaica, she came from a musical family, and her mother had in fact released a number of gospel records during her childhood."

She has an album called "Soulful Reggae", so maybe we're both right? Allmusic.com categorises her as "lovers' rock", which just sounds horrific.

mendozy said:
"Born Alison Anne Cadogan on November 2, 1951, in Kingston, Jamaica, she came from a musical family, and her mother had in fact released a number of gospel records during her childhood."

She has an album called "Soulful Reggae", so maybe we're both right? Allmusic.com categorises her as "lovers' rock", which just sounds horrific.

im not mad about lovers rock, kind of cheesy, croony reggae. gregory isaacs is godfather of it.

Zeelander said:
My boyfriend forgot my birthday. Seriously. You can be my new boyfriend. Seriously.
ohmigod. don't worry lil zee, i'll batter him for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back