irish poets (1 Viewer)

nooleen

bad ape
Solutions
what's the story with irish poetry these days? i'm not mad into poems but i like the likes of rita ann higgins and pat ingoldsby that just write what's in their head...is there more of this around?
this is my favourite RAH poem, i haven't the original in front of me so the words might be slightly improvised

it wasn't the father's fault

his father
him hit
with a baseball bat
and he was never right since

standing behind the kitchen table one sunday before mass
the mother said
if birdie geary
hadn't brought that cursed thing back from america
this never would have happened

Irish poetry is doing incredibly well. Many of the leading English language poets are Irish.

i like the likes of rita ann higgins and pat ingoldsby that just write what's in their head...is there more of this around?

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I think this might fit the bill: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0863273793/?tag=thumpedcom04-21

21PREW25WDL._SL500_AA140_.jpg

your bold use of the word 'swish' to end every line acts as a startling punctuation, shocking the reader into considering whether some 'swish' or 'oh snap' has indeed been achieved. truly a voice of some class or other of generation.

I was rereading Paddy Kavanagh's poetry there the other day, boy that aul hooer could write all right. I was also lamenting the loss of Soundings, it was on the curriculum for 30 years and many of the poems therein became a part of our national culture but nowadays the poetry books are updated yearly. Oriental Streets is another really good school anthology.

Nick Laird is my favourite, he's an absolute genius. But then he's got a lot to live up to being married to Zadie Smith.

On Beauty

No, we could not itemise the list
of sins they can't forgive us.
The beautiful don't lack the wound.
It is always beginning to snow.

Of sins they can't forgive us
speech is beautifully useless.
It is always beginning to snow.
The beautiful know this.

Speech is beautifully useless.
They are the damned.
The beautiful know this.
They stand around as unnecessary as statuary.

They are the damned
and so their sadness is perfect,
delicate as an egg placed in your palm.
Hard, it is decorated with their face

and so their sadness is perfect.
the beautiful don't lack the wound.
Hard, it is decorated with their face.
No, we could not itemise the list.

I was rereading Paddy Kavanagh's poetry there the other day, boy that aul hooer could write all right. I was also lamenting the loss of Soundings, it was on the curriculum for 30 years and many of the poems therein became a part of our national culture but nowadays the poetry books are updated yearly. Oriental Streets is another really good school anthology.

Soundings was deadly. As were Exploring English volumes 1, 2 and 3. Updating the curriculum is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back