Irish Dragons Den (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
Who else can't wait for this?! They invest €50,000 into a website where farmers can upload pictures of their cattle in the first episode. Thrilling stuff.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0219/1224241417089.html

Recession or not, here be dragons on RTÉ

SHANE HEGARTY

DRAGONS’ DEN is a TV show in which capital is put into risky businesses in the hope that they will survive. But that’s enough about the show’s sponsors Bank of Ireland.
As it happens, the Irish version of the internationally-successful marriage of entrepreneurship and entertainment arrives on television when it might be easier to get money by risking humiliation from five millionaires than it would be from a bank.
The format thrives on the sight of budding businesses trying to tempt five “dragons” to invest their own money in the idea. Tonight, on RTÉ One at 10.15pm, viewers will see several ideas – including a cash-cleaning device and a toasted sandwich vending machine – get a grilling.
Although the Irish version is almost identical to that already familiar through British television, from some of its ideas to that peculiarly local pronunciation of the word “entroppiner” it will bring an undoubtedly Irish twist.“I think there’s a charm and humour to it that you don’t get in other versions,” said Seán Gallagher, a successful businessman and one of the dragons.
At a screening in Dublin yesterday, he laughed, cheered and jeered along with the other millionaires: Black Tie’s Niall O’Farrell; Needahotel.com founder Sarah Newman; media and hospitality entrepreneur Gavin Duffy; and Bobby Kerr of the coffee chain Insomnia.
Mr Gallagher said he wasn’t concerned that the economic climate might have taken the wind from the show’s sails. “No, I don’t see it like that. We look at the value of the idea and even if the economy’s struggling, if it’s a good product, and there’s demand for it, then a business will be solid and viable in good or bad times.”
During the course of two weeks of filming the dragons heard almost 100 ideas.
This article appears in the print edition of the Irish Times

i can see the news piece just before the weather:

"...and finally, Bank of Ireland pushes loan shark to invest in money cleaning operation........and grilled sandwiches!"

My friends boyfriend went onto this. Apparently they are really nice in reality it's just edited so they look really strict and tough

Who else can't wait for this?! They invest €50,000 into a website where farmers can upload pictures of their cattle in the first episode. Thrilling stuff.

Not to speak ill of farmers but the one time my Da tried to take a picture of a cow with the digital camera he took five pictures of his fucking eye.

Most of the auldish farmers I know cant use a computer. My Da can now go on the internet though so theres hope.

Yeah i saw that i think. Didnt an Africa guy say he wanted the money to set up a waste removal company and needed money to bribe the authorities or summit.

Yeah, that was amazing. They all said they didn't provide for bribes but he said it was absolutely necessary. It was amazing how honest he was about it.

The Irish one wasn't bad. I must get me one of those money cleaners. :rolleyes:

Not to speak ill of farmers but the one time my Da tried to take a picture of a cow with the digital camera he took five pictures of his fucking eye.

Most of the auldish farmers I know cant use a computer. My Da can now go on the internet though so theres hope.

Brilliant, you should get those transition year students to help him ue the internet, like on the news

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back