iPad available in Ireland from Friday 23rd (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
So... verdict? Worth the money (€499 for cheapest)? 3G or WiFi?

CompuB are taking orders but can't guarantee stock... and it looks like you can't order from apple.ie

I'm not sure if the wi-fi version would be worth it here because of the lack of free w-fi around and I wouldn't like to pay 20 euro a month or whatever O2 et al will be looking for an iPad plan.

without city wide wifi i dont see a point. i've been in the states for a few weeks and there is almost always wifi about, and the only person i've seen use one for anything was a comedian playing an mp3. might as well have been a sony walkman with a c60 in it.

If you already have a microsim you can swap it into yer 3G iPad.... Only problem being the price premium for the 3G model.

I'm looking at the wifi model for the parents to use in their house instead of setting up a pc for them. It'll do everything they'd want a pc for.

If you already have a microsim you can swap it into yer 3G iPad.... Only problem being the price premium for the 3G model.

I'm looking at the wifi model for the parents to use in their house instead of setting up a pc for them. It'll do everything they'd want a pc for.

shir just get them one, entirely for the single purpose of showing them this thread.

Had an aul doss on one in work some weeks back (some American had brought it over), its a savage toy but i can think of better things to spend €500 on. Theres such a lack of practical uses for it... Looking at photos on it is cool and i had endless fun with its little piano program... Everything else my n900 can do sufficiently for me

I got one back at the begining of may. It was just the 32GB wifi model. I use ot with a mifi when I'm out of the house. There's no point signing up to a data plan. I just use a pay as you go broadband sim card.

I use if for books during my otherwise boring commutes, some quick browsing. It's handier than a laptop. You can just leave it lying about and it if you want to check something quickly it's faster than turning on a laptop and takes up less space. very rarely need to drag the laptop downstairs now. And still get a week's use out of the battery. Be lucky to get a few hours out of the laptop.

I just downloaded it. The intro screen does look as good but when I tried to log into twitter it told me that flipboard was over capacity and to try again later.

The photos look good. It's pretty much as it looks in that demo.

Just looking at the magazines. Techcrunch looks pretty good. There's a few apps like this on the ipad. I've been using Pressreader on and off to get the newspaper delivered to it every morning. It's 9.99 a month or 79 cent a pop.

Update again: It's actually better than the Wired magazine app which costs 3 quid per issue

I tried one out in NYC last month & came very close to buying one.
They're ALMOST the perfect computer for people who hate computers, i.e., the rest of my family.
If there was some way to create & print documents (which, apparently, there will be but not yet) it would do everything my parents & sisters need a laptop for - Facebook, booking tickets (& printing them), Googling, etc.
Apple's anti-Flash player policy also means that certain websites, though not very many, are probably going to be inaccessible from the iPad too.

Another thing that made me a bit nervous about buying one for myself was how much effort it would take to move downloaded avi movies & tv shows into iTunes so I could watch them on the iPad.
Think they need to be converted to .mov files which is a pain.

I tried one of these and thought it was great. The drawing apps are great fun. Sketchbook HD in particular. Expensive gadget though, although it's not far off what I paid for my first iPod! The 5G first gen one.

my first gen ipod was 650 pounds!!! still have it, in box and all

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back