interesting site (1 Viewer)

"Predominantly Catholic Ireland voted 63 percent against legalisation of divorce in 1986 and only accepted its introduction by a slim 50.3 percent margin in a second referendum to amend the constitution in 1995."

we're a nation of total dickheads. when's the next abortion referendum? i can't wait.

a real bunch of wankers we had to fight just to get condoms for fuck sake.
and sure wed have to walk 4 miles in our bare feet just to get them and keep the shoes for the winter and wed only have one andthe whole area call around on a sunday to use it ....

byrneos said:
we had to fight just to get condoms for fuck sake.
quote]

Could not believe that when I first heard about not being able to get condoms legally untill fairly recently.
Church still has too much power and influence. Some loonie bishop on TV last night saying that the church is still against contraception. Get with it.

But marriage is a sacrament!

I mean, "You break it, you buy it."

The divorce referendum passed just before I moved here, and I nearly keeled over with the freaking out. I still can't believe it took so long, and passed so narrowly.

And Dunchee, when the next abortion referendum happens, I will be fired up for about a week, and then, when the floodgates open with "WOMEN KILL THEIR OWN BABIES" and turn into blaming THE WIMMINS for everything that's ill in the world, I will have rage-induced meltdown. That's what the last one did to me. I was so angry that I had second thoughts about staying here, but I do genuinely feel that the chances, in 15 years' time, of there being legalised abortion in Ireland are greater than they are in the US, where the rights are eroded by the minute.

Ooops. Jesus. Sorry. Anyway, that is an interesting site...

falsemonkey said:
Some loonie bishop on TV last night saying that the church is still against contraception. Get with it.
the pro life society in my college also put up anti-contraception stands.....mad bastards

jane said:
And Dunchee, when the next abortion referendum happens, I will be fired up for about a week, and then, when the floodgates open with "WOMEN KILL THEIR OWN BABIES" and turn into blaming THE WIMMINS for everything that's ill in the world, I will have rage-induced meltdown. That's what the last one did to me. I was so angry that I had second thoughts about staying here, but I do genuinely feel that the chances, in 15 years' time, of there being legalised abortion in Ireland are greater than they are in the US, where the rights are eroded by the minute.

(I'm aware there's already a thread for abortion) I don't know really will there be a greater chance of it being legalised in 15 years. I talk to a lot of girls at school about it and opinions are very split. I put forward hypothetical situations like pregnancy through rape or a severly handicapped fetus, still they'd rather go through with it the pregnancy. Last year I put up some flyers from http://www.the-safety-pin.org/ around the school. A dangerous/stupid thing to do in a catholic school, all fliers were ripped down within minutes of putting them up and teachers were trying to find out the mad sod who put them up so they could "chat" with them. But a few girls got the message and still wear the safety pin. :)

trianglegrrrl said:
(I'm aware there's already a thread for abortion) I don't know really will there be a greater chance of it being legalised in 15 years. I talk to a lot of girls at school about it and opinions are very split. I put forward hypothetical situations like pregnancy through rape or a severly handicapped fetus, still they'd rather go through with it the pregnancy. Last year I put up some flyers from http://www.the-safety-pin.org/ around the school. A dangerous/stupid thing to do in a catholic school, all fliers were ripped down within minutes of putting them up and teachers were trying to find out the mad sod who put them up so they could "chat" with them. But a few girls got the message and still wear the safety pin. :)

I think that's really ballsy and cool of you to put up those posters, even if they did get taken down. And I wonder, though, if it isn't mainly the influence of the church on the opinions of so many people in your school. It's why I think having exposure for the pro-choice catholics is a really good thing, to show people who aren't sure of their views that it is possible to be catholic and pro-choice. And that you can actually be against abortion on principle, and still believe it should be a personal moral choice, not a legal issue.

People like you and me, we've made up our minds, and we have to be willing to engage in reasoned debate, and sometimes I think that means being willing to engage with the whole 'religious morality' side of it, in order to get the point across that religious morality is not something that should be state-sanctioned.

Maybe when some of these girls get out of school, they'll become more informed. Maybe some of them will continue to believe abortion should remain illegal. Maybe some will continue to believe it's wrong, but that it isn't up to the state to choose. And maybe some will realise that it isn't about babies, it's about women's bodies, and they'll 'see the light'. I do think that the vehement pro-life and the vehement pro-choice camps are probably about equal in numbers, but it's getting to the people who fall somewhere in the middle, and presenting the issue in the right way, that could see it legalised someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back